Saturn Vue vs. Kia Sorento

Threaded View
Im going to be buying a new vehicle soon and would like opinons about
which car you would buy and why.

Re: Saturn Vue vs. Kia Sorento

I have an '03 VUE AWD V6 and I really like it. No hassles at
all. We owned an SW2 a while back, and again, no problems ever.

Saturn has a relatively good reputation for building cars that
hang together. I have heard quite the opposite regarding Kia.
I may have been misinformed.

Check out groups.google.com for opinions on each vehicle.

Brian

Re: Saturn Vue vs. Kia Sorento
One of the major things for me on the Kia Sorento is the VERY poor gas
milage, at 16mpg.  Also, I imagine if I had to buy replacement parts, the
Sorento would also be more expensive.

Re: Saturn Vue vs. Kia Sorento

And harder to get (long wait).

And, let's be frank, 'Kia' and 'reliability' aren't exactly words you
use in a sentance without a modifier like 'crap'.  Not to mention, they
could always pull a Daewoo, given none of Korea's mageconglomerates are
that stable...

Re: Saturn Vue vs. Kia Sorento
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 19:00:39 -0500, Philip Nasadowski

So are parts for some GM models.  Look at Pontiac's Azpuke.  My friend
has one and it took 2 1/2 months for them to get a new computer in,
another month to get a new hatch release.....

Kia isnt really Kia.  Its been bought out by Hyundai.  Their SUV has
been given pretty good ratings by JD Power and Consumer Reports for
reliability.

 Daewoo?  What the hell is that???

Re: Saturn Vue vs. Kia Sorento

Maybe I was spolied by my Celbrity, which seemed to interchange with
evert other GM car :/

Hey, it's an azpuke, though :)

I still wouldn't be too big on them.  I knew a friend with a Hyundai -
and I KNOW they've gotten somewhat better since then, but his was
bizzare and flakey too.  I've heard plenty of Kia horror stories,
especially on the earlier ones.  Having seen the quality of Korean
anything, I wouldn't want one as a daily driver.

Was.  Those funny named Korean sedans that enjoyed a small squirt of
popularity a few years ago.  Nubria, Laganos, and a few other weird
names.  They used to also be a subcontractor for Pontiac.  They're gone
now, and as one site put it "Now just a bad memory".

Re: Saturn Vue vs. Kia Sorento

"> >  Daewoo?  What the hell is that???

Well, in one sense they're gone and in another they're still here. After
their financial struggle trying to make it on their own, they were acquired
by GM and are now GM Daewoo. They dont have a dealer network or a line of
cars in their own name here in the US anymore, but the new Chevy Aveo/Suzuki
Swift+ (Daewoo Kalos), Suzuki Verona/Chevy Epica (Daewoo Magnus) and Suzuki
Forenza (Daewoo Lacetti) are all Daewoo-built in South Korea.

The Lacetti/Forenza actually shares some styling ques with the ION, which
I'm sincerely hoping is just a fluke.

Brian Gibson

Re: Saturn Vue vs. Kia Sorento

I'm guessing this will be shortlived, kinda like their cars are.  I saw
plenty on the road, then they all went away...

Re: Saturn Vue vs. Kia Sorento
As yourself this-"How many 10 year old Hyundai's do I see around (because
that is what a Kia is)?  How many Saturn's do you see around?  The number
speak for themselves.  I think the longevity of a Saturn is far greater than
any Korean built automobile.

Re: Saturn Vue vs. Kia Sorento
You are are right about that....when looking at 10 year old Hyundais.....but
Hyundai turned around reliability somewhere around 2000 or so, which will
mean a few years before this question becomes more realistic.  Both Hyundai
and KIA offer a 5 yr 60,000 mile warranty (10 yr 100,000 mi powertrain
warranty), so with that, you'll see lots more on the road for several years.
And the major automotive rating and consumer firms have given more thumbs up
to Hyundai recently as well for building better quality cars.

than

Re: Saturn Vue vs. Kia Sorento
I just can't see the draw to the Kia at all.  Given the choice, I'd go with
the Saturn without a doubt.  Not sure how you will answer this, but ask
yourself what will think of your choice in a year, five years, etc., and see
how you feel about your options after considering that.

Re: Saturn Vue vs. Kia Sorento

Me neither.  Cheap Korean car.  I guess if you like cheap Korean cars,
they're ok, but I'd avoid any cheap Korean car.  Hey, I know plenty of
people who've been screwed by them.  No thanks...

I'd avoid the cute ute class altogether.  Either you really do need an
SUV, or you're just being trendy...  Ok, lack of a decent wagon from
anyone (and no, I don't mean those stupid 'sport wagons', I mean a real
station wagon) is an excuse, but IMHO, that's not one to cave into the
cute ute trend...

Heh.  A Kia will last 5 years?  kia will last 5 years?

Site Timeline