Saturn Vue vs. Kia Sorento

Im going to be buying a new vehicle soon and would like opinons about which car you would buy and why.

Fighting For Kids wrote:

I have an '03 VUE AWD V6 and I really like it. No hassles at all. We owned an SW2 a while back, and again, no problems ever.

Saturn has a relatively good reputation for building cars that hang together. I have heard quite the opposite regarding Kia. I may have been misinformed.

Check out groups.google.com for opinions on each vehicle.

Brian

One of the major things for me on the Kia Sorento is the VERY poor gas milage, at 16mpg. Also, I imagine if I had to buy replacement parts, the Sorento would also be more expensive.

And harder to get (long wait).

And, let's be frank, 'Kia' and 'reliability' aren't exactly words you use in a sentance without a modifier like 'crap'. Not to mention, they could always pull a Daewoo, given none of Korea's mageconglomerates are that stable...

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 19:00:39 -0500, Philip Nasadowski

So are parts for some GM models. Look at Pontiac's Azpuke. My friend has one and it took 2 1/2 months for them to get a new computer in, another month to get a new hatch release.....

Kia isnt really Kia. Its been bought out by Hyundai. Their SUV has been given pretty good ratings by JD Power and Consumer Reports for reliability.

Daewoo? What the hell is that???

Maybe I was spolied by my Celbrity, which seemed to interchange with evert other GM car :/

Hey, it's an azpuke, though :)

I still wouldn't be too big on them. I knew a friend with a Hyundai - and I KNOW they've gotten somewhat better since then, but his was bizzare and flakey too. I've heard plenty of Kia horror stories, especially on the earlier ones. Having seen the quality of Korean anything, I wouldn't want one as a daily driver.

Was. Those funny named Korean sedans that enjoyed a small squirt of popularity a few years ago. Nubria, Laganos, and a few other weird names. They used to also be a subcontractor for Pontiac. They're gone now, and as one site put it "Now just a bad memory".

"> > Daewoo? What the hell is that???

Well, in one sense they're gone and in another they're still here. After their financial struggle trying to make it on their own, they were acquired by GM and are now GM Daewoo. They dont have a dealer network or a line of cars in their own name here in the US anymore, but the new Chevy Aveo/Suzuki Swift+ (Daewoo Kalos), Suzuki Verona/Chevy Epica (Daewoo Magnus) and Suzuki Forenza (Daewoo Lacetti) are all Daewoo-built in South Korea.

The Lacetti/Forenza actually shares some styling ques with the ION, which I'm sincerely hoping is just a fluke.

Brian Gibson

I'm guessing this will be shortlived, kinda like their cars are. I saw plenty on the road, then they all went away...

As yourself this-"How many 10 year old Hyundai's do I see around (because that is what a Kia is)? How many Saturn's do you see around? The number speak for themselves. I think the longevity of a Saturn is far greater than any Korean built automobile.

You are are right about that....when looking at 10 year old Hyundais.....but Hyundai turned around reliability somewhere around 2000 or so, which will mean a few years before this question becomes more realistic. Both Hyundai and KIA offer a 5 yr 60,000 mile warranty (10 yr 100,000 mi powertrain warranty), so with that, you'll see lots more on the road for several years. And the major automotive rating and consumer firms have given more thumbs up to Hyundai recently as well for building better quality cars.

I just can't see the draw to the Kia at all. Given the choice, I'd go with the Saturn without a doubt. Not sure how you will answer this, but ask yourself what will think of your choice in a year, five years, etc., and see how you feel about your options after considering that.

Me neither. Cheap Korean car. I guess if you like cheap Korean cars, they're ok, but I'd avoid any cheap Korean car. Hey, I know plenty of people who've been screwed by them. No thanks...

I'd avoid the cute ute class altogether. Either you really do need an SUV, or you're just being trendy... Ok, lack of a decent wagon from anyone (and no, I don't mean those stupid 'sport wagons', I mean a real station wagon) is an excuse, but IMHO, that's not one to cave into the cute ute trend...

Heh. A Kia will last 5 years? kia will last 5 years?