Saturn Wagon

Anybody have a picture of the back seats folded down in a late-90's Saturn Wagon? Do they fold totally flat?

Anybody tried sleeping in one? Enough room to stretch out, or cramped?

Reply to
dtiemeyer

I've got a '95. The back seats fold down near enough to flat as makes no difference. As for sleeping in it, I've not tried it but it would be a bit cramped (I'm 6' even) unless you curl up a bit.

Reply to
William Hughes

The 96 and up SW rear seat does not lie flat, which I feel was a real design fault and almost stopped me from buying one. I found that by removing the lower foam cushion that the seat back would lie properly flat. There is a bit of a trick to removing the seat foam which IIRC involves pushing down and back on the seat front about 1 foot in from the outside. IIRC there is an illustration in the owners manual, or a dealer should be able to show you how. There is a strong hard plastic seat base under the cushion. If you place a folded blanket on this plastic base (or even with nothing) it is not too uncomfortable for a short trip if needed, the seat belts stay attached to the body and are fully functional with the cushion removed. With the cushion removed and the seat back folded, the seat bucket area is a nice place to store a tool kit and the load straps for my roof rack and other stuff like emergency raincoat and gloves. I do not think I have ever bothered to completely reinstall the cushion as it is well retained in the hard plastic seat base without latching. I normally keep the cushion in my garage and only seldom bother to put it in the car and only when required.

I am just under 6 feet and find it quite comfortable for sleeping. I push the seats forward and fill the leg area with soft stuff. If I am alone I will sleep at an angle and only push the passenger seat forward. I keep a piece of heavy cardboard on the floor area over the seat back hinge as this helps to flatten the hinge gulley. I keep some closed cell camping foam under an old carpet cut to fit. The extra carpet is soft and easy to remove for cleaning and the cardboard can be used if I need to carry something dirty. The carpet can also be pulled back to cover the latch ring and prevent scratching flat stuff when sliding it in and out of the car. I usually keep a couple of old blankets in the back and they also help to make it more comfortable for the dogs and I and are helpful for padding when moving furniture.

Both my dogs and I have found this arrangement works very well. I really treat it as a two seat vehicle with covered storage, I doubt that the seat back has been raised more than 3 % of the time.

YMMV

Reply to
Private

I have a 94 SW2 1 owner and it is flat which is why I bought it. We camp a lot and when it is raining hard we just move our stuff to the front and sleep in the back. We have 168K miles on her but replaced the engine & trans from 6th Planet Auto in FL (1200 for both w/shipping) I will eventually replace her with a hybrid plug in wagon as soon as someone makes one. In the mean time if you want a flat wagon for sleeping I tried out the Toyota Matrix and they are flat & comfy. I hear the Honda Fit is good too. Happy Motoring

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Linda