screeching

i have a 1994 SL1 80k miles. i picked up a screeching sound when i put on the air conditioner. i took it to a mechanic buddy and he rubbed soap on the belt and it quieted it down for a while (probably till the soap washed off). i replaced the belt at pep boys and it was fine for a few days. then the screeching appeared again. it happens when i put my air-conditioner on and when i accelerate. if i slow down or turn the air-conditioner off it goes away in a couple of seconds. ive owned this car since december of 1998 and bought this from a saturn dealer with 67k miles. i enjoy this car very much and like the information i get from this group. thank you in advance.

Reply to
schmair gees

Take it back to Pep Boys and have them either refund you the labor they charged or properly tighten the belt. Given the symptoms you've described it appears it was not correctly tensioned or not tightened down afterward so has come loose.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

The Saturns use a spring loaded tensioner. Often they go out. I'd bet a plug nickle that you need a new tensioner also.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Does your A/C work well? Noticed a huge decrease in mileage when using the A/C, maybe? The compressor could be going bad and on the road to seizing up.

Otherwise, the usual culprits are the bearings in the idler and tensioner, especially when cold.

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa
13K in 6-1/2 years? I'd have walked and saved the money of buying a car! :)

Reply to
SMacIntyre