"Secret" 2001 Saturn Alignment Defect

If you bring your car in, Saturn policy is that they will not inform you of this TSB unless you specifically ask for it by name, otherwise you will get an alignment and your car will continue to cup and chew up the rear tires, possibly causing a blowout, and loss of control of the vehicle.

This TSB is the fix; it should be a "recall" and Saturn should eat the cost:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Make: SATURN Model: L-SERIES Year: 2001 Service Bulletin Number: 00T72A NHTSA Item Number: 633545 Summary Description: SUBJECT REGARDING SERVICE MANUAL UPDATE FOR CHASSIS SERVICE MANUALSS REGARDING ALIGNMENT SPECIFICATIONS AND SERVICE PROCEDURE FOR INSTALLATION OF SPACERS BETWEEN REAR SUSPENSION SUPPORT AND VEHICLE BODY WHEN PERFORMING WHEEL ALIGNMENT. *JG

File your complaints here:

Mr. Goodwrench

Not a "fix" for anything really, just an update to errors in the service manual for the alignment specs. Unless the dealer misaligned it previously based on the old manual, it doesn't affect anything.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

My 2001 L300's rear tires experienced cupping and uneven treadwear from the getgo. Dealer insisted I didn't rotate tires enough. Dealer never mentioned the TSB. When I finally caught wind of the TSB, I had this repair done to my car and it was not a simple alignment. Dealer literally spent hours drilling out the original faulty shims. These cars were not aligned properly at the factory and a shim kit (noted in the TSB) has to be installed in order to be able to align the rear wheels to the new correct spec.

Reply to
xyro

Well it is nice to be able to pat my dealer on the back here. Two different Saturns, both taken in for general/routine maintenance and received 4 new tires on one car (at 20,000 miles!) and 2 on the other.

They just looked at the car (last year) and said Saturn would adding the rear stabilizer, aligning, and replacing the tires.... if it was alright with us.

So this isn't a Saturn Policy everywhere.

"Mr. Goodwrench" wrote in news:DYGdnXkFStdus0 snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
Steph