Service Engine Soon light still on

Hi:

I've swapped out the temperature sensor, which had been fluctuating nonsensically and caused me to flunk the emissions test, with a new one, but the "service engine soon" light is still on. Does it go off automatically when everything is fixed, or do you have to switch it off manually somehow?

Reply to
Osgood Z'beard

Er, forgot the specifics. I have a '98 SL 4D with a 1.93L engine.

Reply to
Osgood Z'beard

Osgood Z'beard typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

You can unhook the batery for ~15 minutes (and loose your radio presets), or take it to your local AutoZone and ask them to read & reset the codes. It should eventually go away on its own, but the code probably will still be stored, which may cause an issue with your emissions test. Here in MO, OBD2 cars must have no codes set, and have passed all on board readiness tests.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

This is an easy one...

remove negative battery cable, turn key to on position, turn lights to on position, go drink a beer, come back and do the reverse of the above. Light will be off, radio presets will be gone. If the original condition still exists, your "SES" light will come back on.

Cheers,

Randy.

Reply to
R & K Bilyea

sure can't see how a cts can fail your emissions test.. and it usually doesn't through a code. You should have the code read at autozone and post the code number or numbers here.

Reply to
p_vouers

Thanks. It eventually went off as Kevin suggested it would, and thanks for the autozone suggestions. I passed the emissions test so am good to go (except that I think my clutch is slipping or my transmission is getting sloppy).

Reply to
Osgood Z'beard

Get yourself a handheld code reader. It will also allow you to turn off the light. Guessing at what is wrong and hoping that the light will turn off is a horrible procedure.

John

Reply to
John Horner