SES light on 2000 SL2

Hi,

From my looking on this site, this seems to be a fairly common problem

but here's my story. I own a used (not previously owned) Saturn which has had its share of problems. Over the summer the SES light came on and I took it to the dealer who said there was "a small emissions leak" but after they pressurized the system they couldn't find anything...and took my money. Two weeks later I was back with the same result (except i didn't get charged). Over the next few months the light would come on and off intermitently, but was fortunately off for the emissions test, which it passed. It has stayed off for two months now but came on this morning. Is there anything I can tell my mechanic to point them in the right direction because I don't mind paying to have it fixed, I'm just fed up with paying for nothin'. Thanks for your time.

Reply to
sienna.brown

What is the error code? Your symptoms seem consistent with a plugged EGR valve. Without the code it is difficult to guess. Provide the error code they saw or when the light is on, take it to Autozone for a free scan.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I have pretty much the same issue with my 2000 SL2. Autozone scanned it and came up with a P0442 small EVAP Emission Control leak. Was told that nine times out of ten its a bad gas cap, so I replaced it, looked for anything obvious, like split or cracked lines or damage to the canister (I'm no expert; just using a Haynes book), but I don't see anything and the light is still on, though I've only driven it four or five times since Saturday (I understand it takes a few startups to clear the error code), when I replaced plugs, cables, air filter and cleaned the throttle body, hoping that would solve the problem. Inspection times coming up, need help!!

Reply to
Hank

a quick fix to pass inspection would be to fill it up, and pull the pcm fuses under the hood. and start the car (it's going to stall first start) the light should stay off untill your hit 3/4 tank mark, this is because the pcm doesn't look for a evap leak untill 1/4 of the tank has been used.

Reply to
uknewwho