SL1 - Coolant temperature warning

My coworker just bought a clean, low mileage used '99 SL1. The radiator appears to have been bent in towing, but not too bad. Coolant seems to be circulating properly, with no leaks.

He says that although the temperature gauge never rises above normal, the temperature warning light on the dash comes on - almost immediately. His mechanic replaced the sensor, but the same thing still occurs.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem?

TIA, Chris

Reply to
ChrisPlatt

My '99 SL had a problem like this but I really did have low coolant -- it was getting into the motor oil. You didn't mention it but I'm assuming your coworker checked the coolant level....

Reply to
Steve

If the light is blinking its due to low coolant level......that would be my first guess....

Reply to
BANDIT2941

The coolant level is okay per the markings on the overflow reservoir.

Is coolant added in the reservoir? There is no radiator cap (?).

Perhaps there is some air in the system. Does anyone know where the bleed is located?

TIA, Chris

Reply to
ChrisPlatt

That is correct. You have a closed radiator system. It was the same way when I had an '89 cherokee and I had a hell of a time convincing at least two shops repair shops of this. They kept insisting I had a radiator cap.

Air in the cooling system is generally not a problem or terribly unusual UNLESS you get a good sized pocket of air in the water pump, which IIRC doesn't happen very often in street cars.

How did you determine that the coolant is circulating properly? Have you been able to pressure test the cooling system?

I'm not sure if Autozone/etc has these you could borrow, but we use a laser thing to measure the temp of the tires and various parts of the engine after we bring a car off the race track. You may try just for curiosity's sake if nothing else, what the engine/coolant temp is by pointing it at places like the upper radiator hose connect. Compare your reading to the car's temp gauge reading.

-rj

98SL2
Reply to
richard hornsby

Again, IF the light is blinking, the level is low. The sensor is set up pretty sensitive - it can look like its full but still light the low light. I would add a little water and see if it goes away. IF the light is blinking, it def means low coolant, so if you add some and it still doesn't stop, suspect sensor.

Reply to
BANDIT2941