SL2 Tuneup cycle

Bought a used '95 SL2......gets good gas mileage but bucks at low rev's and vibrates a lot when idling. Does anybody know the tuneup cycle on these cars??

-- Dick Beach snipped-for-privacy@netcarrier.com

Office at Philadelphia Biblical University snipped-for-privacy@pbu.edu

Reply to
Dick Beach

At that age, I'd change the wires and put in new plugs too. These are all cheap and everything is easy access with the 1.9L engine. About 20 minutes tops to do these yourself.

Then , if it still idles rough, I'd get some good throttle body cleaner, remove the air intake from the throttle body and follow instructions on the can making sure you get a clean throttle body and plate. I'd also throw a can of some quality fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank and run that through before doing more.

Since you don't know what preventive maintenance has been done, I'd also suggest that you change out the air filter and PCV as well.

Lastly, and if you are still feeling ambitious, there is a fuel filter on the driver firewall (which can be a little difficult to get access to) but which likely should be replaced as well.

Good luck!

Reply to
Bob Shuman

You might want to read the information at the above link. If you replace the sparkplug wires having them routed correctly is more important then many might think.

Ken

cleaner,

filter on

Reply to