SL2DOHC belt and pully don't line up

After 250K miles, my serpentine belt no longer rides the main pully (bolted into crankshaft)correctly. All other pulleys (A/C, alt, wtr pmp, etc) all line up fine. I tried to tighten the bolt on the main pulley to bring it closer to the engine block but it would not budge. The whole engine turns and it's hard to keep the pully & engine from moving. Half of the belt rides the back of the pulley while the other half hangs over the edge, toward the engine. Is there a special tool for this? Any suggestions appreciated. It's a 94 Sl2, DOHC.

Reply to
250k

Sorry I can't help, but I really would like to know how it turns out.

Just maybe the pulley is bad if it is made like a typical balancer. A typical balancer is actually two pieces of steel, pressed together with a piece of rubber in between. Maybe the outer piece has slipped on the rubber seperator. Eventually it may come all the way off. Compare your balancer to a new one.

James

Reply to
James1549

Here are a few pics out of a repair manual, maybe you can compare with yours:

James1549

James- You are 100% correct. The outer piece has slipped outward from the rubber separator. A junk yard wanted $40 for a used balancer. A new one at the dealer was $97. Because of the difficulty of getting that bolt out, i had the dealer replace the balancer while I was there checking out the price of the part. The mechanic that did the work said he never saw that separation happen in the 10 years he's worked on Saturns. He was surprised the parts dept had it in stock. Maybe I'm good for another 250K miles now.

Reply to
250k

I am glad you found the problem and are good to go now! James

Reply to
James1549