Snow tires on a Saturn???

Dick,

I live in the Cleveland area, we get 2-5 bad snow falls a year and lots of lesser ones. Keep in mind on that most winter days the roads are clear and dry.

I put 4 snow tires on my Saturns. This costs $400-600 dollars if you buy an extra set of 4 steel wheels, which is what I did.

I recommend you spend lots of time at the Tire rack site.

If I remember correctly, they say that snow tires give you something like a

20% advantage over regular tires. (Check me on that.) But my point is, for lots of people the extra expense may not be worth it in Cleveland. I view it like insurance. $500 worth of tires might save me a tow charge or my life!

I do not recommend the generic wheels that Tire Rack or Discount Tire will sell you. They are "Lug centric", the wheel does not center itself on the spindle. This caused me vibrations at speed. I went to Blackburns in Macedonia and got used "hub centric" wheels. Even though they were used, the wheels were truly round and I had no vibrations.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Reply to
Gerald Haas