SOHC Performance Mod's

I've recently been wondering if it's worth my while to purchase a new(used) and more powerful car other than a saturn, or get an SL2/SC2... OR take on the challenge of tweaking the SOHC I currently own. What are my options for a '97 SL?... The simple things are new intake/freeflow exhaust... but that may gain

5hp at most...

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Nathan

There are a few site's you can explore for saturn tuners...you should go to http:\\

and sign up and talk to the's guys,you can find ALOT of great info on how to mod your car and you'll getplenty of help. The guys are great, i've been there since it started.I'm there everyday posting and asking questions when i need help.

Reply to
A.Johnson

I haven't see any dyno charts of SOHC vs DOHC engines. But based on seat of the pants feel, the SOHC & DOHC engines both generate similar amounts of torque. But the DOHC engine's better breathability allows its torque "peak" to be extended for another 500RPM before falling off. Thus giving it more HP.

In other words, both the SOHC & DOHC engines hit its powerband at

4000RPM. The SOHC engine's power band drops off at 5000RPM. But the DOHC drops at 5500RPM. I believe this extra long power band is what gives the DOHC it's extra 20 horses.

That said, I'm interested in validating my seat of the pants feel. Can someone point me to any dyno charts? Better yet, how about pre

2000 and post 2000 Saturn dyno charts? I strongly suspect the air pump in the post 2000 Saturns improved emissions but messed up the power curve. My 2002 feels weaker than my 1998 and the engine idles rougher.
Reply to
Wilf Lee

Isn't your '02 heavier than the '98? That would make the car slower with the same HP...........

Reply to
BANDIT2941