someone please help !need anwsers

At the risk of being redundant,I need to know if anyone else has had this problem or not.but can advise me regarding this dilemma involving Monitor Readiness Status(self testing)before one can pass Ca.emissions tests.The monitor that consistantly shows not ready status is my Catalyst monitor.I ve driven G.Ms recomended drive cycles;completing the oxygen sensor monitor;theO2heater monitor and the egr monitors test. Even I know the egr has a sensor,the O2 sensors 1and2 are obviously being monitored here,but I ask what the blank and where in the blank is this catalst monitor? I thought the O2S is what monitors the performance of the catalyst converter!and my Cliltons makes no mention of such a thing! I replaced the 2nd O2 sensor in the mist of all this .the only difference it made in all this is now the O2 monitor is no longer,NOT ,completeing its cycle like it had been doing!..mile after mile, of useless driving around ,just trying to complete its' self test' (all total around 900mi give or take a couple of 'start agains' because I would disconnect my battery due to making repairs etc. .Can someone PLEASE respond so I can get my car smogged,and tagged,so I can have a LIFE AGAIN Its going on 10 months of this.Thanks...I actually tried not to ramble too much here.I dont know if....but FYI there is a possibility that in making repairs re: a collision in 2001; that the PCM may have been replaced by shop as its mention on invoice...Another damn long story.

Reply to
localyocal

Hi , I am in Toronto, Canada,and what I do every time I have to go for emission test is:

a) change the PCV valve. b) buy a new gas tank cup. they test for hermeticity. replace it when you're a block from the test site, and keep it for next test. c) run (warm) the engine VERY WELL before the test. d) fill the tank with the highest octane gasoline you can get in your area. e) ensure the air filter is new, or recently changed. (I have an NK, but it's expensive although worthwile)

I don't have to do it because my car is rather new, but if yours is > 8

- 10 years old, add a can of additive (Bardhal or Wynns) to the oil.

Good luck

DR.

Reply to
danielr

I had the almost the same problem I changed the Air filter and the plugs and wires the pvc valve and still could not pass that e-test then a friend of mine sayed hey did you check the coolant temp sensor(Most older ones have plastic tips)Saturn switched to a brass tiped one in 2000 (I think) I changed it and had no problem passing that e-test I hope this helps

Reply to
junglelove_1269