speedometer quit working

Can anyone help? The speedometer quit working two days ago. I figured it would be an easy fix with a new vehicle speed sensor (vss) but as luck would have it, that did not fix the problem, at the same time the (Service engine soon) light came on and I'm getting a code 26.... it is a 1995 SL1. Please help if you have any ideas.

Reply to
begray24

Code 26 is a quad-driver fault, usually indicating that some device controlled by the ECM is shorted or drawing too much current. Common suspects for this on the 1.9L are the EGR vacuum solenoid or the canister purge solenoid.

Not quite sure why the speedometer would stop working, but if the same output is driving the Class 2 data to the speedometer, that could do something like that. Or could be your ECM is just fritzed..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

This may sound stupid, but on my 95 sc2 my spedo would not work on cold mornings. I would just thump the side of the console/dash and it would start working AND turn off the SES light. A little Fonzie repair but it did work. HM

Reply to
Herman Munster