Starter?

I have a 1998 SL2 that has 103,000 mile on it. The problem I am now having regards a starting problem. While the engine is cold, either in the morning or sitting at the office all day, I have no problem starting the car. If I drive it for more than a few miles, turn it off to go into a store for a few minutes then come out and try and start it then I have trouble. I will turn the key 3 to 4 times before it will finally start. At first I thought it may be the battery, had it replaced and it still does the same thing.

Any suggestions????

Reply to
Chrisy

That is not an uncommon problem for a starter to act up once it is heated up. Also it takes more power to turn over a heater engine verses a cooled engine, especially if the timing is advanced.

Unless you have a corroded, loose cable issue, I would suspect the starter.

James

Reply to
James1549

Just another idea that might be a lot cheaper to remedy than the starter-- anyone think it might be the coolant temp sensor? Would that account for the engine being easy to start when cold, but hard to start when hot (fuel mixture too lean)?

I just replaced the starter on my 94 SC2. Went out of my way to buy an AC/Delco reman., because I've always read good things about them. Unfortunately, after nine days, it failed. One morning, it started the car okay, but then the starter motor wouldn't stop running, even with the ignition turned off. Had to run into the house and get a wrench to disconnect the battery. I'd never heard of one going like that before, but the diagnoses was right in the shop manual. Luckily it happened at home.

Dave

Chrisy wrote:

Reply to
Dave

Dave, Thanks for the info. since the car has over 104,000 miles on it and the starter is the original I'm going to try replacining it today. Don't really know how involved of a job it will be but I guess I'll find out in a bit.

The last starter I changed was on a 65 Ford Fairlane. 2 bolts, 2 wires, 10 minutes. I'm sure it will be a little more involved than that. Auto Zone has a starter for $79.00 so it's not really going to be a great expense. If this doesn't correct the problem then I'll next try your suggestion and replace the coolant censor.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Chrisy

Wow, I'd like to do any job on a car in 10 minutes! $79 is a good price too.

I was in a bind and wound up paying $160 at Pep Boys, because the store was in walking distance and I wanted to drive to work that afternoon. You'll probably be finished by the time you see this post, but even though the SC starter is in an awkward spot, it's not too tough to replace.

The worst part is the top retaining bolt. With a socket wrench extension, it's accessible from underneath the car. It just takes a little fumbling to get the socket on the bolt, since it isn't visible from underneath the starter. Good luck,

Dave

Chrisy wrote:

Reply to
Dave

Well Dave, like I stated, that was a 65 Ford Fairlane. As you know, that car had plenty of room to work in. As I remember there was about a 4 to 6 inch clearencs all around the starter. Yeah, I thought $79.00 was a good price also which is why I was going to just replace it.

Well, I jacked the Saturn up yesterday and could not even locate the starter. I jacked up the driver side first then the passenger side and was amazed how little space there was. I had a flash light and a detailed manual and still couldn't see anything that looked like a starter. Had some friends also try and find it with no success.

I was able to get the car back to the house so next week I'll just put it in the shop and let an actual mechanic look at it. I have always believed not to dive in waters you know little about.

Thanks again for your help.

Reply to
Chrisy

I had the same problem with my '98 SL. It started fine cold, but would turn over longer and not catch when it was warm. In my case it was the fuel pressure regulator. I had that replaced and haven't had a problem since.

Be careful if you take it in somewhere, though. The first place I went to said it was the fuel pump and would be around $450 to replace. I got the pressure regulator replaced for half that.

Reply to
Richard

Thanks Richard, I did take it to a mechanic yesterday and is was indeed the starter. He replaced the old one with a AC Delco starter. The starter cost $174.50 and he charged $52.00 labor. I felt he was more than fair. Best of all, no more problems getting the car started.

Reply to
Chrisy