Starter and radio

Can anybody give me a rough idea how long it will take to replace the starter on a '98 SL2? Also, since the day that we bought this car the radio has not worked properly, it just won't get any stations outside of the town that you are driving it in. I thought antenna! Checked it everything is kosher with it. I bought a stock replacement, installed it, same result. As I was fiddling with it I noticed that the radio worked great until the metal casing of the radio itself made contact with the metal mounting brackets in the dash and that's when the signal would fade. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Alliecat

Reply to
alliecat

It would take about an hour tops... even for a newbie DIY'er, best way to do it would be to put your car on ramps and go at it from the bottom. There's only two bolts holding that puppy in there... and two wires to disconnect, one big one and a smaller wire.

As for the radio, try insulating the areas of metal that touch with some electrical tape or something similar (not duct tape tho)

Brian a.k.a. ProjectSW1

Reply to
SixthSphere

On the radio, I would suspect the antenna wire first. When you replaced the antenna, did you also replace the wire from the antenna to the radio? A short in the antenna wire can cause the same problems that you mentioned. Radio should be grounded to the frame for mimimum interferrence on AM and static electricity protection.

Reply to
Oppie