Starter needing replacment?

I have a 99 Saturn SL2. When the car started today it started hard. Started made noise like a grinding. Once the car started it sounded normal thank goodness.

Is it more likely my starter? Or will any other parts need to be replaced. What is your experience out there? I am suspecting its gonna run me about several hundred tohave it replaced. I have 110000 on the car at present.

Is this something I could do myself, or will I have to have a mechanic do it.

gck

Reply to
Klein Family

If the solenoid turned and the starter turned, then it is probably not your starter. There really isn't much there to go bad, just a switch and a HD motor. You need to describe the noise better.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Well it turned out to be the starter. I had my mechanic look it over and a rebuilt one with a lifetime warranty was installed. Part was $210 and the labor was $60, overall not too bad.

gck

Bob Shuman wrote:

Reply to
Gary Klein