steering wheel locks

I have a question that is causing a lot of concern.............I have a 2002 L-Series Saturn and it has become increasingly difficult to get the steering wheel to unlock so the car will start. Sometimes it seems hard to get the key into the ignition and when the key does go in, its hard to get the wheel to unlock. Once unlocked, the car starts fine. May I ask if that sounds familiar at all and, if so, what might be the cause. Thank you for any response.. cheers dodger

Reply to
dodger

The key is supposed to work either side. I find it goes into the cylinder easier on one side than the other. A tiny bit of grease applied to the tip of the key may help. Insert it several times and then wipe off. If you turned the wheel after the key was removed in order to seat the locking pawl, the wheel may have to be slightly turned to take the load off of the pawl before the key can be turned. Make sense? Oppie 2001 lw300

Reply to
oppie

Will give it a try...many thanks dodger

Reply to
dodger

It "might" be the key itself is shot -- my 1998 key was shot, it finally STUCK in the ignition switch and I was lucky to get it out --- got a replacement at Saturn for ( $35 ? ) .. they just required my registration / driver's license -- took like 20 minutes.

Naturally, it hasn't stuck since.

Reply to
Jon Jon

I had a 2001 L200 that ate the keys. The keys got so worn you could remove the key with the engine running. Sounds like the ignition locks were lousy on these cars.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

A contact at a Saturn dealership tells me GM used a lot of Saab parts in the L series, and they are a POC. I suggest you dump it and run!

Reply to
Gyzmologist