Steering Wheel Vibration

'97 Saturn SL1, 110k miles

So this has recently started, and it is scaring me while driving. Not all the time, but sometimes the wheel will start to vibrate violently for a period of time. It is not strong enough to alter the direction that I am driving, but enough to be very noticeable. It will go away after about five minutes of driving, then it will return after about five minutes. I just had new tires put on and I had the alignment done. I have started to drive my other car in the mean time, but if you have any idea as to what could be happening, I would love to hear it.

Thanks.

Reply to
stellarroadie

Most likely it is a wheel balance problem. Take it back to the shop that mounted the tires and tell them the symptoms. If it was recent enough, they should rebalance it for no charge to see if it takes care of the problem.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

I think you may have lost a balancing weight. Take it back to the place where you had the tires put on, tell them you've got a bad shimmy. They should probably fix it for free.

-WaV

stellarroadie wrote:

Reply to
wavy

It could indeed be a balancing issue but I would not rule out alignment or possible bad CV joints if everything else checks out.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

I already had the weights checked out. All was good. I don't think that it really has anything to do with the new tires.

Reply to
stellarroadie

Idirectly it does because you have change the rotating mass on front axle. It could be a alignment issue and/or a problem with worn/loose front end parts.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Was it doing it before the new tires? There's your answer.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

You could have lost a weight, that balanced your tire. Are you changing speed, or at a certain speed when the vibration is happening?

just a guess,

tom @

Tom The Great

When does it do it? Is it when you apply the brakes? Or is it while driving? If it's while braking I'd suspect warped brake rotors. Saturn did have a problem there but I think they did remedy it before 1997 though.

Reply to
Chris Ehlbeck

I had the new tires on. It worked fine for about a month. Then about one month into the new tires it started. Slightly at first, but as time went on it got stronger.

It happens when I drive and when I brake. The speed of the vibration does not change with the change in gear, but it does change with the change in speed.

I took it to the place that did my tires. We checked the weights and the alignment. All they do it tires, so they did not check anything else. They said that my tie rods looked fine. I have not taken it in anywhere else yet, but I think that I am going to soon.

Reply to
stellarroadie

Have you rotated the tires to see if it changes?

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

You have a tire out of balance. If they did not take each tire and put it back on the balancer, then they have no idea if it's right or not.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

I remember that I was getting a pretty bad shake at high speed when one of my front wheel bearings went out....

(94 SC2)

-WaV

SnoMan wrote:

Reply to