sticky throttle

Going to look into this today but, perhaps someone on this board has had this issue. The 96 SL2 we acquired has a gas pedal that is rather hard to "tip into". IOW it's "sticky". It's fine once it's past idle but it's tricky to get a smooth start. It will be driven by our daughter and she's in the learning process and is having a bit of a time with it. I'm going to R&R and clean the throttle body. Are there any other points anyone can recommend? Larry

Reply to
jdoe

I'd suggest you determine exactly what is sticking so that you can lubricate or fix it ASAP to resolve the unsafe condition. Likely causes are the accelerator pedal, the throttle cable, or the throttle body. I'd try to disconnect the cable at both ends to see if you can determine what is sticking.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I bet it's the throttle body. take it out and clean it real well (remove the TPS and IAC when you do this). Get all the grime away, and you'll be set.

BTW, it's easy to check the gas pedal cable when disconected, just tug on it. It should slide real freely, and you'll hear the gas pedal thunk and bump around if you give it a good tug and release.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Reply to
jdoe

"Bob Shuman" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

For some reason, the '96 has an issue with carbon build up on the TB. I have to clean my wife's twice a year.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller