Stuck Ring Cure?

This product (SeaFoam) worked wonders on my motorcycle which sat for years and years.... I'm going to try it on my Saturn.

Here is what the manufacturer says to do with it:

*** START ***

To unstick the rings, put ½ can of Sea Foam into the oil and drive the vehicle for 15 minutes or so, and then change the oil and leave it in until the next oil change. This should unstick your rings. The only caution I will give you is that if you have a very dirty sluggish crankcase, check the color of the oil after you have driven the car for 15 minutes to ½ hour after oil has been changed. If oil looks tan, continue to drive vehicle until next oil change. If oil looks black and dirty again, repeat the process until the oil comes out clean. This will gradually clean the crankcase. This will free the scraps rings, which will usually relate to belts compression performance. Of course if your rings are worn out, we will not replace metal, but whatever is left of the rings will function better. Good luck, and thank you for using Sea Foam.

*** END ***

BTW - I buy SeaFoam at the local NAPA store for the bike regularly now as it is a gas stabilizer too. Part SF-16 I think.

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:

I'm not a total idiot... I am after all, missing parts.

Reply to
Joe Dufu

Some people have had good luck with engine cleaners on oil-burning 1.9L engines, however I think a more commonly proposed methods is to pull the spark plugs, dump cleaner into the combustion chambers, let it sit overnight, and then crank the engine to blow out the cleaner, put the plugs back in, start it up and let all the smoke and residue burn off, and then probably change the oil (to remove any that ran down into the crankcase)..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Whew, I'm glad you didn't say that some people sell their Saturn's and buy Hondas (evil grin). Seriously, I was reading about the last year (2004) of the current model of Corvette and there was mention of the LS6 V8's unnatural thirst for oil in the pre-2002 units. Guess some things are just more complicated to engineer than a layman like myself understands...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos