Stupid Saturn Trick

I back up a little before shifting into 1st to get around an SUV parked on the street ahead of me. Suddenly I have a very loose shifter and that sucker is in REVERSE and it aint coming OUT! The only way to disengage is clutch. No shifter progress. Takes a couple of seconds and I know where to look. Turned off the engine. Fortunately - I had a phillips head onboard. Unscrewed the center panel rear screws. Pop the front panels - unscrew those two. Work the sumbitch loose and get it out of the way. Take a look - aha - the shifter mounting point isnt connected to f-b cable. L-R cable is intact and not disconnected - F-B cable isnt connected... there seems to be some kind of retainer missing? I can place the shifter's spindle into the cable's mount, but it eventually slips off. Especially from 2nd to 3rd. It didnt USED to slip off. This is a total bitch to drive because it disconnects and the only thing you can do is fumble around down there with one hand and fit those parts back together again (while youre stuck in 2nd or 1st) hopefully just coasting downhill with your foot on the clutch...

Anyone know how this shifter link is supposed to stay on? Is there a clip missing or is there a misalignment possibly involved?

-WaVy

Reply to
wavy

This has been covered here previously. Google groups is your friend.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

I clamped a large paper binder clip onto the bottom of the shifter shaft. This seems to be keeping the broken plastic spindle from slipping out of the cable mounting assembly.

Hard to believe Saturn used such a flimsy piece of plastic as an end retainer. It appears to be a total hassle to replace... the end simply sheared off - all 1 to 1.5 mm of plastic...

-WaVy

wavy wrote:

Reply to
wavy