Sunroof problems(kinda long)

Hello Gentelfolk,

I have a small problem with my Wifes 97 SL2. She was closing the sunroof this afternoon and it closed almost all the way but stopped just shy of compleat..say ½" from flush..The fuse is good but it seems (A) the motor is not getting power or (B) the motor just died...I do not have my multi-meter at home to check current draw so ?!?!?!...Anyway..long question short..How do I go about getting to the motor and bypassing it to close the sunroof untill I can get to the "pick-a-part" to get a "new" one??

anyone who answers please send a copy to my email also RevelationX@nospam cox.net Remove the obvious to reply...I will also check back here but I'll check my mail first..

Thank you very much Keith

Reply to
RevelationX

Well i spent the afternoon diggin' into he roof..and got it closed..seems all you have to do is pop the trim around the front doors loose,remove the visors and supports and un atatch the roof pad from the velcro... and the motor is right there..now that I know how to do it..it would take 30-40 min to replace the motor if I had one sitting beside me....As for manually closing it..there is a slot in the center of the gear head that yiu insert a stubby flat-head screwdrivr into and push up and turn..it diengages the gears and you can open or close the sunroof....

Dats it.

Keith

"pick-a-part"

Reply to
RevelationX

I assume that your sunroof was factory installed?

I've heard bad things about after-market installs of sunroofs (sunrooves?) - that they almost always end up leaking water and there isn't anything you can do about it. Thoughts/comments on getting a sunroof installed after-market in an SL2? Just curious, no plans to take a sawsaw to my car :)

-rj

98SL2

Revelati> Well i spent the afternoon diggin' into he roof..and got it closed..seems

Reply to
richard hornsby

Yes..It is factory..I had posted a follow up explaining how I eventually fixed the problem..dead motor...a trip to "You-Wrench-It" is in order..but no rush now as atleast there is no rain going to get in...

closed..seems

RevelationX@nospam

Reply to
RevelationX

I just got my 2000 SL2 sunroof fixed a week ago. Glad I have extended warrenty!

It was the motor that needed to replace. It will open ok, but when it close, it keeps clicking when closing (doesn't sounds too healthy). I am glad that the service rep at dealership is helping me out to find out the problem for FREE (otherwise is about C$100) then filed a claim for me. And when the parts arrived, I drop off my car in the morning and get it fixed in the same afternoon (plus free shuttle ride for me to go to the office)

great services!

Reply to
AN0NYM0US