sync keyless entry remote

I have a 97 SC2 with electronic locks. The remote for keyless entry will no longer sync when I hold both lock and unlock buttons for 7 seconds.

I *DID* have a problem with the battery in the remote leaking, so I cleaned the inside of the remote, and replaced the battery. The Lock button works on its own. The unlock button works on its own. Even the trunk and panic buttons work independently on their own, but when I hold both lock and unlock, the car horn will no longer sound for 4 times.

I thought it was my remote that was bad. Luckily, I was given 2 remotes when I purchased the vehicle, and the second remote had been unused for 10 years (with no battery in it). I put a battery in the other remote, and that one won't sync either.

Everything else on the car is working OK. I can't imagine anything that could cause this behavior. Anyone have a clue?

Thanks.

Remove the BALONEY from my email address.

----------------------------------------------------- Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA snipped-for-privacy@baloneyvisi.com

"Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick

Reply to
Matthew Fries

I had a similar issue with my remote. I had the luxury of having RF testing gear to verify signal output but aside from that, the basics...

I cleaned the contact areas where the buttons contact the circuit board with electronic grade contact cleaner. Wipe the circuit board gently and also dab the contact area on the underside of the button. The silicone rubber that they make the buttons out of sometimes leaches out silicone oil that fouls the contact between the black part of the button (carbon black) and the circuit board. Do not scrub or the carbon will be removed from the button and then you have a larger problem. Also clean the battery contact areas. If you can, burnish with a pencil eraser to remove any corosion. If you can't get to the contact areas, use a Q-Tip with some BonAmi cleanser to clean the area. Clean well with a clean Q-Tip when done to remove any cleanser residue. Check the battery holder solder contacts. I've seen a few with a broken solder connection from the battery holder to the circuit board. A touch with a soldering iron and was all good.

Hopefully that will do it. If both remotes still exhibit the problem, recheck the owner's manual to see if you missed something otherwise it might be a problem in the BCM which has the receiver for the remotes. Another possibility is that some software update along the way might have changed the way things operate. Did you check with Saturn or research any service bulletins? Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Check out some of the links for remote keyless entry RKE

I didn't have time to go past this.

Reply to
Oppie

I did clean the contacts on the remote after the battery leaked. This is the second time I have had a battery leak in my fob. Yet amazingly, the buttons on the remote still work! It's just that they don't cause the horn to sound 4 times when I hold lock and unlock.

This problem really isn't causing me any trouble. I can unlock the doors with my remote just fine. I can also lock them just fine. I thought I would need to sync the remote after replacing the battery, so I tried, and nothing happened.

I might try short>I had a similar issue with my remote. I had the luxury of having RF testing

Thanks.

Remove the BALONEY from my email address.

----------------------------------------------------- Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA snipped-for-privacy@baloneyvisi.com

"Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick

Reply to
Matthew Fries

Is the OP stating that the second remote won't "SYNC" ? then that is a totally different story. But it sounds like the remote is totally inoperable, in which case synching is not a problem at this stage. I use plain old rubbing alcohol and a q-tip to clean contacts, does the trick for me.

Reply to
marx404