That was it!

Finally changed both front hub assemblies in my '06 Vue...I had mentioned in a previous post a while back that I was having a snow tire sound in the front, and thought my it was my tires, as I have 53K on the car with the original tires and brakes. I thought that it was the ties being near end of life that was making the noise when somebody told me that it was probably the bearings. They were right! New bearings and the car rides like new again. I can't believe I had to change the bearings before the tires or brakes. What the hell is up with that?!?! Lot of corrosion on the drivers side. You could feel the assy was gritty. I figured that as mine is a 4 cyl 5-speed, it has less weight than the V6 AWD, mine would last longer...*sigh* - guess not.....

Anyway -

Getting both bearings done at dealer = $800+ Getting both bearings done at private garage = ~$600

Bought Timken bearings online @ $111 each + $15 shipping and handling. Changed both in 1-1/2 hours with help of brother in law = $350 total parts and dinner [Took him and our wives out to dinner to say thanks :) ]

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

I have been having some strange front end noise problems on my '07 Vue. At first I thought it was break squeal, but it has more of a high pitched "rubbing-rubber" sound that changes with speed. As expected, it starts up at random interval, so I haven't been by the dealer to take it in when it's doing it. Did you ever hear a "squeal" type sound before you changed the bearings?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

No - No squeal. If I drove at 20mph, there was no discernable sound. Once I got over 25 you could start hearing a faint low pitch tone like you were driving with snow or knobby tires. This pitch got progressively higher the faster you drove. I had also started to get a slight shake at about 75mph. Even after speculating the problem was the bearings, I thought this to be associated with the tires mileage/balancing issue, however after changing the bearing hubs, the shake is gone and it rides like new. How many miles are on your '07? My main complaint is that bearings just should not go that quick. I've never done bearings on any car of mine that didn't have close to 200K miles on it. If your still under warranty, stand up to your dealer about it. If your close to the end of your warranty, a lot of dealers will nurse the issue along until your not covered.

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

IYM,

200K miles seems high to me... but I would imagine the lifespan depends on the weight of the vehicle and the quality of the hub bearings that were used.

I do regular service on 5 vehicles in my immediate family, two of which have nearly 150,000 miles (neither of which has had the front bearings replaced yet) . To support your conclusion that this could be a design issue, I have only needed to replace a front hub assembly/bearings on one of those 5 vehicles. Funny thing is that the first bearing went out on that vehicle (to be clear it was not a GM product) at about 65K miles/7 years and the other side needed replacement a year later - around 80K miles.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

My 2003 Vue is on it's third set of bearings ... original until 32,000 .. second set at 67,000 miles and I am now on the third set (currently 81,000 miles) I paid the $880.00 for the third set.

Reply to
Boater