the Midas touch

How can Midas install brakes for $39.95 and guarantee them for life? There has to be a catch, some snag, like with the Monkey's Paw theory. Anyone know what the catch is? Thanks Scout

Reply to
Scout

Low paid workers.

Cheap parts from Taiwan.

You pay for 'extra' parts.

They bet the average driver is leasing the car, thus only needs brakes once in the time they own it...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Don't forget that they do an "inspection" and look for other work when you come back in for your "free" pad replacement....+ they charge for hardware, etc...

As a former Midas tech....I am telling you...stay away...

Either find a decent neighbourhood mechanic, or fork out the dough for the dealer....I am all for the former...

R.

Reply to
WTP07

thanks - good advice is always appreciated! Scout

Reply to
Scout

Reply to
jdoe

  1. They expect that most people won't keep the car long enough for them to have to replace the pads, the guarantee is not "for life" it's for as long as you own the car.
  2. They use very low end parts, that don't cost them much, and they pay their employees very little.
  3. The .95 almost certainly does not include turning the rotors, they will likely charge at least per rotor to turn them.
  4. They are counting on selling you new rotors, either at the time of service, or time of replacement.
  5. They are counting on selling you calipers, either at the time of service, or the time of warramty pad replacement.
  6. On most cars, replacement of pads or shoes is a very quick job, no more than an hour. So with a parts cost of about -5, the for an hour of shop time isn't a big loss for them.
  7. They are hoping to sell you shocks, struts, a muffler, a catalytic converter, tires, etc.
  8. They will try to sell you upgraded pads for a higher price.
  9. They will try to sell you anti-squeal devices or goop.

In general, an offer of a lifetime warranty from any vendor of parts or services is a good way to know that you should avoid that vendor.

Reply to
Steven M. Scharf

Comments below.

Bob

The Midas radio commercials in my area (Chicago, IL) advertise the lifetime warranty is transferrable to whoever purchases your vehicle so this is not as you state. (I've never used Midas and do them myself so don't know what the catch is either...)

No comment as no experience.

I agree. Or more if they need to replace them as will likely be the case.

yes, seems likely this is the stratgy

Again, yes, I agree

I don't know how you estimated $3-5 cost for brake pads. I pay about $80 for my ceramic pads whihc list at close to $100 and even the cheapest pads are priced in the $50 range at the local auto parts store. I seriously doubt the $3-5 cost is an accurate estimate. I'd estimate that even the cheapest pads Midas could find would cost $20-$25.

Yes, yes!

No experience so can't comment.

Same

I do not agree. It just means you need to do your homework and be aware of how they will try to "upscope" you while you are there!

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Easy. I'm pretty sure the tv ad says in white writing that installation is extra.

Reply to
Art

The Midas web site has the $39.95 deal, but it explicitly states that it's for "as long as you own your car."

So obviously the Chicago franchises have a different deal. The offer also states "plus installation." Does the offer in Chicago include installation? $39.95 can buy some pretty good brake pads. Installation is likely to be at least $75 without rotor turning.

I do have the experience, unfortunately, though not with brake pads.

A real mechanic will likely save you money. First, he'll use better pads, at a higher initial cost. Second, he'll be more willing to resurface good rotors instead of just selling you new ones (on most cars, the rotors are thick enough to be resurfaced at least once, and usually more times than that, though early Saturns had very thin rotors that could not be resurfaced even once). Third, he'll be less likely to tell you to change the brakes before they need changing. Fourth, he'll be less likely to try to sell you unneeded parts, such as calipers and other bits and pieces. Fifth, he'll do the job right the first time.

The lifetime warranty for the Midas brake job is only on parts. Every time the parts need changing you have to pay. So poorer quality parts mean more frequent parts changes.

It isn't just on brakes that lifetime warranties are usually a rip-off. Look at alternators. They warranty the part, but not the labor, and not the inconvenience of being stranded. The parts are very poor. If you can change it yourself then it may not be so bad, but if you're paying a mechanic to change it, it is usually a bad deal.

JC Penney did have a lifetime warranty on car batteries to the original owner. JC Penney still honors this warranty, more than two decades after the product was no longer offered, and despite the fact that JC Penney no longer even has auto service or sells auto parts. I guess since JC Penney is still in business, the warranty continues, and JC Penney has decided to reimburse Firestone car care centers (who bought the car repair business from J.C. Penney) to provide warranty replacement (rather than have people haul old car batteries into the department store). People that put these batteries into their classic cars are still reaping the rewards.

I did know a guy with a 1963 Cadillac who got replacement transmissions every few years from Aamco. But most of these lifetime warranties have a clause where they are allowed to give you back the money from the initial purchase, rather than fix it.

Reply to
Steven M. Scharf