Thermostat in 1993 SL1

I need to remove the thermostat in my 1993 SL1 to flush out mayonnaise-like gunk caused by a blown head gasket; oil mixed with the coolant. I pulled the elbow that covers the thermostat, but found that the thermostat is built into it and held in place by a strong spring that I couldn't get any tool on.

Anyone know an easy way to extract the thermostat?

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
Gary Compton

Go an buy you a new thermostat. A cardboard device is included with it to remove your old one and install the new one.

James

Reply to
James1549

Gary, I bought one for my 94 SL1 this past winter and the thermostat included the cast elbow and were sold as a unit. Prior to replacing it the car would not go past 1/8 on the temp. gauge in winter when the outside temp was cold (i.e. below 32F). I it was no fun to drive as the heater's output temp. was pathetic.

chuck

Reply to
chuck smoko