Timing Belt

Can anyone give me the standard recommended mileage for a timing belt change for a '92 SL1? Thanks!

Reply to
Wild Bill

No belt. Chain.

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Reply to
Wild Bill

Do a group search on Google for Saturn SL1 timing chain belt. Lots of relevant responses.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart
100,000 miles is the standard these days. My guess would be that the chain on a '92 is the same.

Wild Bill wrote:

Reply to
Mark Walters

...the chain typically lasts the life of the car. That's what?, 100k to

200k for most folks. And of course it depends on service and usage. It's a no-scheduled-service item on the S-Series, which lends itself to the promoting the S-Series plus of inexpensive to maintain.

Belts 'used to' have change intervals of about 60k (they're probably closer to 100k these days) - the plus (to me) is that they're cheaper to change than chains and quieter too.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Thats what I say, as well as Saturn. But say that too loudly around here and someone will correct you and say "it should be changed regardless"

If you're the anal type, change it as preventative maintenance. The rest of the world shouldn't need to change it unless it starts making noise.

As always, YMMV.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Nah. I'd say change it only if it's making noise or it's convinient, say, the heads are comming off and the car's got 200+k on it.

Yeah. I suppose someone can argue that it doesd stretch a bit with age, but come on, it's a cam drive. I kill a primary drive chain on my Harley about once a year, but making nearly 2X the HP over the origional motor, plus frequent WFO dashes around town does that. The Saturn's chain has it a lot easier, trust me. Oddly, the oil bath chain's service life has been drastically shorter than the final drive belt, which I got 40k out of mine, but only because I caught a rock in it, which is fatal to them. I've heard of them lasting beyond 100K FWIW...

Anyway, mine's got 220K on my SC2 and it is still silent. I'm going to change it when I get a valve job *only* because it's gonna have to come off anyway.

Belts are another story. Hondas in particular have to be changed at the right intervals or they can break and wreck everything. If the motor's a non interference type (though I suspect most aren't anymore), then a belt breakage is a non event - the motor just stops. If it's an interference type, things break. I think Honda's up to 90k on their cars.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Thats exactly what I'm saying........I did mine when I rebuilt the engine(for oil burning).....easy when its all apart.......and cheap....

Some time ago, my ex got an old escort beater. I knew it had a lot of miles on it but I knew the engine was non interference so I figured no sense changing the belt........ Well, sure enough, a couple months later, the belt stripped some teeth, and there the car sat(and it was even in my driveway)......put a new belt on it and it was good to go.......

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Close. My '99 Civic Si is 105k / 84 mths. Lesser model Civics are now above

120k. I don't know about the current models.
Reply to
Mark Gonzales