Timing Belt

Hey Guys:

I have a 01 SC1 3 door coupe 5 speed. Does anyone know at what mileage you are supposed to replace the timing belt. Some foreign cars say 60000 miles, but was not sure on the Saturn. Also when you close the sunroof, you hear a sound like a plastic gear clicking. Anyone else have that problem.

Reply to
Bill B.

you've got a chain, not a belt.

you only need to replace it if it starts getting noisy.

Reply to
Kevin

Thanks Kevin:

I was wondering about that. I had a 95 Escort Wagon that broke a timing belt at 76,000 miles. Fortunately I was at a stop light so it did not do any damage to the engine, but did take the water pump out.

Reply to
Bill B.

One word of caution, the Saturn has a interferance engine so if chain fails when it is running it will toast the motor so if you ever get to the point you can hear it, replace it ASAP.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Please fix the configuration of your news reader so it doesn't endlessly string "Re: " at the beginning of the title of everything you reply to.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Bill, fyi - the Saturn timing chain is stainless steel and has self-adjusting guides. It should last the lifetime of the car. You didnt state how many miles your SC1 has. As the others say, only if you hear the timing chain, don't worry about it. Many have achieved over 300K on thier old saturns. We have had 2 with over 2K and original chain. The trick is regular maintenance, ie: oil changes and be kind to your car. :-)

As far as the sunroof, inspect it by opening it all the way. Inspect the tracks, make sure they are well lubricated but not over lubricated. Make sure that nothing is blocking, loose or stuck in the tracks or channel. Check out for the clicking as you open and close the top, note where and when it ocurs, it may need to be professionally serviced if it continues.

Cheers!

Reply to
marx404

I do not see it as a big issue and at least it does not have a long trailer or sig like some do....

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

BTW, it must be your client because mine never shows them so maybe you need to configure yours.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Please fix the configuration of your news reader so it doesn't endlessly string "Re: " at the beginning of the title of everything you reply to.

Reply to
Doug Miller

No, it's definitely *your* client:

1) I never see this on posts from *anybody* but you. 2) It's not just me: other people have called you out on it in this ng before, so I'm obviously not the only one seeing it. 3) View your posts in Google. Click the "more options" link to see what your client is actually posting. The "Re: Re: Re: " stuff is there in your posts. Presumably, you can't see it because your client is suppressing display of it. But it's definitely there.

Please fix the broken configuration of your client.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Marx:

The car has 51,000 miles on it. I bought it used at a Hyundai dealership lot last September with 44,000 miles on it. I went there to look at a new Elantra, but they said that they had a used Saturn that had just been traded in a couple of hours before. The previous owner had taken care of it and so far I have not had to spend anything on it other than oil changes.

Reply to
Bill B.