Timing belt inspection

Hello:

I've got about 110K miles on the original timing chain. Is there a relatively trivial way to inspect the chain, or to diagnose it for wear? Judging from the Chilton repair manual, opening up the engine and doing a visual inspection is quite an involved procedure, especially for an amateur driveway mechanic.

Thanks,

Ted

1996 Black-Gold SC2
Reply to
Ted Wong

Ted, Most Saturn timing chains I have known to go bad, always get noisey before they actually could cause any damage. There are exceptions I am sure.

Mine has 120K on it and I don't plan on any replacement until I can hear it slapping around. I change my oil every 4K and so far so good. My fathers chain got noisey around 150K and he had it changed. I wanted to change it myself for him but it was winter time and he couldn't afford to have his car down for a few days.

James

Reply to
James1549

Ted, you will never have to look at that timing chain, it is basically a lifetime self adjusting stainless steel belt with self adjusting tensioners. The only Saturns that have belts that do need to be adjusted are the 1st generation VUE V6 and L series with V6, they used a caddilac engine with a rubber/kevlar belt that does need changing. All other Saturns have steel timing chains that never need adjustment unless they fail. Change your oil every 3K miles and keep the car tuned up and happy driving.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

I made some corrections to your post and you also forgot to mention the belt in the current 3.5L Vue's...

110K miles isn't nothing to worry about with regular oil changes and if the engine was/is always kept topped off with oil. However replace all of it with a new timing kit right away if it ever starts making noise.

New & Improved OEM Timing Chain Kits SOHC - 21008552 - $145.00 Est DOHC - 21008553 - $170.00 Est

Reply to
BläBlä

OK. I've changed the oil in the engine religiously at 3K miles, so I don't expect to have any problems.

Thanks,

Ted

1996 Black-Gold SC2

Bl=E4Bl=E4 wrote: