Tires SL2

1996 SL2 tire size is rated at 185-65-15

Is it safe to use an alternate size? And what would that size be??

Reply to
Just Wondering

I'm using 205-55-15 tires with no problems. Well, maybe a bit of very minor scuffing on the inner fender at the far extreme ends of the turning radius. Not enough to worry about.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Ur using a 205? Crippers, I shud be able to get away with a 195 then!!!

Reply to
Just Wondering

On factory rims or aftermarket? If, aftermarket, how wide?

Reply to
<mcben

Factory rims.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

I use 195-60/15 on my sl2 factory rims no problem same size as the sc2

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
Just Wondering

Just Wondering wrote: > 1996 SL2 tire size is rated at 185-65-15 >

Of course, keep in mind that any significant change in tire size will cause the speedometer and odometer to read off.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

This is true - here's some relevant information.

185-65-15 = 24.47"

205-55-15 = 23.88"

Tire diameter calculator I find with Google.

This Tire Program Link shows less than a 2 MPH difference in 185-65-15 & 205-55-15 tires.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

I don't know what's up with that calculator, but my calculator says a 205-55/15 should be 24.02." Mine is an excel spreadsheet I wrote myself...... manual calculation should go like this:

205 mm = 8.2" 55 percent of that is 4.51" So 15+4.51+4.51=24.02......so I'm not sure where that other calculator gets 23.88 from.

195-60/15 = 24.36

185-65/15 = 24.62

About a 1% difference which is negligable. I doubt the factory even bothers to recalibrate the speedo for that difference.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

BS/FS website gives Napalm's dimensions as being very close, 24.5" for 185s and 23.9" for 205s. Another important measurement is revolutions per mile, this will demonstrate speedo/odo changes-850 rpm for 185s and 872 rpm for

205s. Calculating tire size using Bandits method is never acurate, any tire dealer will have dimension statistics for all tire sizes, and will be glad to share them with you. The brand of tire is irrelevent, 185/65R15 is the same no matter who's tire it is.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Where does my method go wrong? The second number is supposed to be the percentage of sidewall height from the width of the tire. So if you take that percentage of that number, convert to inches, add twice then rim size........ ?

Not arguing, just curious since it should make sense.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

I understand your formula, I've tried it myself at work (selling tires) but all the data books for the tires show different dimensions than I calculate. It's always off by 3/4" to 1 1/2 " depending on size. I don't know why it doesn't match, it just doesn't.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Interesting. I'll have to do a little research on that one of these days.......

Reply to
BANDIT2941