tracing wires

1995 SL1 Low mileage 90k, but lots of short trip driving.

Working on a problem with my Emergency lights all turn signals and brake lights are fine all fuses show good (continuity) When I push the hazard switch down, the relay just buzzes (intermitantly) I'm thinking the switch in the top of the steering colum..... Any similar experiences? Any thing else to check before I disassemble the colum? Should I just get a '72 Pinto? Wouldnt be an issue, but my inspection is due.

Reply to
madMike

Relay buzzes? Get that Bumble Bee out of there and it might work.

Reply to
BläBlä

Funny answer... just not very helpful. Your problem is in the voltage. The relay is driven by the amperage across it (that's why the flassh speed changes when a bulb blows). You may have a bad switch on the column, a bad flasher, or a corroded connection. To find this you will need a DVM (digital voltmeter)

I'm assuming this is a 2 connection flasher, if not post a note and I will modify the instructions for you

Here's the testing proceedure:

-First get your base voltage for the car from a known good location. (lighter, fuse panel, battery, etc)

-Find the relay. Not sure where it is the buzz should lead you to it easy though.

-Remove the flasher

-Turn on the hazard switch

-One of the wires in the flasher connector should show the same as your base voltage for the car. remember this wire. (If neither do you have a bad switch).

-Use a short wire to jumper the wires in the connector

-All hazard lights should be on and bright at this point. If any are dimmer, check the connectors in that light for corrosion and/or clean and replace the bulb. If they are all dimmer than they are with the turn signal engaged or they are not on at all you probably have a bad switch.

-If all the lights are functional and proper brightness your relay(flasher) is bad replace it.

If you identify this as a switch. get access to the switch wiring and check the switch resistance in both positions (it should be infinite when off, and almost zero when on).

If you have no other luck, you'll have to voltage drop test at several points along the system to find the biggest drop and ID the problem.

-Good luck,

-Mark

Reply to
Mark