Transmission saga...to replace or rebuild?

Ok, I've posted a bit here already, and thanks to all those who helped. I have a 94 SC1 auto with transmission problems (no second gear/no reverse/hard shifting). I took it to Saturn - they wanted a total replacement. I took it to Mr. Transmission - they recommended taking it out to look at it - which would have cost $360CDN. Of course, they probably would have recommended a rebuild, after that. AAMCO recommended a rebuild, starting at $1200, PLUS any more parts they might need (it would probably come to about $1500 all told).

My other option is to 'drop' a used one in. I'm looking at a 94 auto tranny, with 130,000 KM (about 90,000 miles) on it. All told, it would be about $850 to drop it in, at AAMCO. However, with this option, there's no guarantees worth mentioning (only about 3 months - and I'd still have to pay another labour charge of $350 if he needed to re-replace it).

So I don't know what to do. My transmission has about 195,000 KM on it, Engine has about 120,000 KM (was replaced). What would others recommend? If I 'drop' a used tranny in there, am I likely to encounter the same problems? I only intend to keep the car for another 2 years or 20,000 KM.

Please help - I just can't afford a rebuild, and I don't know what to do... I'm in Toronto, BTW, if anyone knows a good shop here. Thanks so much.

Reply to
Mark 2000