Transmission Service

It is well past the time for my son's Saturn transmission to be serviced. My Nissan guy used a process that exchanges/replaces over 90% of the fluid, but the down side is that pan doesn't come off and the filter doesn't get changed. It is my understanding that conventional transmission fluid "changes" only replaces approximately 60% of the fluid which is great if we all did the 25000 mile thing. This Saturn was bought used and the history is unknown. Which process is best for a Saturn SL1, 1992 vintage and why? This is an opportunity for me to learn.

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
Wild Bill

IIRC, the filter on the TAAT, and IMHO one of the few things they did right on that tranny, is a 'spin on' type like an oil filter.

The change method most everyone uses is to simply drain the oil and refill. You won't get the converter oil out, though. I don't think Saturns have converter drain plugs.

One way to get ALL the oil changed, though it's a risky thing to do (somewhat), is to disconnect the tranny cooler supply line, and let the transmission (after it's been drained and refilled) pump oil out through there until it runs red and clean. Then top off to the right level after rehooking the hose. The risk is twofold - you'll run out of oil in the pan, plus the bearings/clutches/etc aren't being lubed while this goes on.

The other way, more expensive, but IMHO safer for the tranny, is to change the oil, run it a few minutes, then change it again. You won't get it all out this way, but you'll get more. Costs a lot more, though.

If you do the 25k mile thing, a regular change will suffice.

Check out the condition of the tranny fluid when you first change it - it can tell you a lot about the past history of the thing.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Thank you for this marvelous information. I am not familiar with some of the terms or abbreviations you have used. IIRC, TAAT and IMHO are terms I do not know. May I ask please what these terms are and what they mean?

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
Wild Bill

Not directed to me, but thought you wanted a response so I hope this is of help:

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

Given the context, TAAT may be something to do with the Trans Axle, but strictly a guess as I don't recall seeing this used previously

By the way, changing the fluid and filter on this unit is easier than doing an oil change since the spin on filter is easy to access and their is a drain plug. There is no trans pan per se, to clean since the transmission bolts together horizontally.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

There are a load of these abbreviations. Some are good and others just suitable for text messaging.

Google for 'internet acronyms' and you will find this one or similar:

bbiab, Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

or

However, I still have no idea what 'TAAT' is, probably something to do with the (Automatic) Transmission, but not 'Technical Acquisition Assistance Team'. Three acronyms in short succession like that (in the parent) made my head spin, and I've spent many an hour in IRC channels.

-rj

98SL2
Reply to
richard hornsby

TAAT is what the model of the tranny is called. It's referred to as "The Saturn TAAT transmission" in a lot of stuff.

It's unique to Saturn, and, AFAIK, it's the ONLY GM automatic that's non planetary. I don't know why they did it the way they did, but they did. It's a lot like a Honda transmission, BTW.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Why could you not take a bucket filled with new trans fluid and stick the trans cooler outlet hose into that while you are draining fluid out of the cooler inlet house (still attached to the trans of course)? That way you should be able to maintain your fluid level in the trans while the fluid circulates/drains using the trans pump. You could probably even keep the cooler in series to flush it as well. This was discussed on the camry newsgroup a few weeks back and this suggestion came up. Not sure if anyone has tried it yet, but I can't see why it would not work as long as you are careful to maintain prime on the hoses. One further suggestion to this was to buy some short lengths of transparent poly hose to use instead of the trans cooler hoses themselves to give a better visual indication while you are doing this procedure.

davemac

Reply to
davemac

The Saturn automatic doesn't have a pan with filter... the filter is separate and spins on. There's sort-of a pan on top of the transmission but you don't pull that for an ATF change.

If you really want to flush, just repeat the 60% change several times. (Driving in between to circulate everything, of course.) ATF is fairly cheap, and with the Saturn automatic it's so easy just to pull the drain plug.

60% probably isn't too far off - the manual says that it's 3.5 quarts for a change, and I'm guessing that it's 5.5 or so overall. If I jack up the corner of the car away from the drain plug, *and* spin off the filter and drain it too, then I can get 4.5 quarts out in a change, which is close to 80%.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Sounds like a plan, but how do you dispose of all the T-fluid?

Ron Herfurth

94 SL-1 100,300 miles
Reply to
Ron Herfurth

Ron Herfurth wrote: > Sounds like a plan, but how do you dispose of all the T-fluid?

The same way you get rid of it after a normal transmission fluid change. Take it to Kragen's used motor oil tank or to your local waste disposal facility.

Reply to
Ratbert

Reply to
Wild Bill

My local recycling place accepts both used ATF and motor oil.

Still, doing the drain/refill more than once seems excessive... yes, a previous owner might have skimped on maintenance but if it was one ATF change that they missed, then I don't see much point in doing the multiple flush. And if they missed every ATF change over 180000miles, then whatever additional wear that was caused won't be cured by just flushing the ATF out... although it won't hurt to do so, especially if the OP will be racking up mega-miles himself.

I understand that on some new cars, that there is no maintenance specified for the auto transmission (maybe they ship with synthetic ATF?). Although the dealers admit that after 120k miles (where the maintenance schedule stops at) maybe it'd be a good idea.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

TAAT = Trans Axle Automatic Transmission TAMT = Trans Axle Manual Transmission TACL = Trans Axle Clutch

All you need to do is step across the room and look into your Saturn S-Series Parts and Illustration Catalog. It you left yours at the office, use your secret decoder ring.

Big Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
REMOVEvexedviking

It is a Honda transmission. The 2004 V6 Vue uses a Honda engine and transmission.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White