Transmission Shifts Hard - Valve Body?

My 93 SL1 with SOC engine began shifting hard recently. I've been told that it is probably the "valve body", which is exterior to the transmission. Has anyone out there had experience in changing one of these? Is it easy to get to and is it a hugh job? Its a $1200 job at local Lee Myles transmission shop. I can get the valve body and actuators for about $550. Any helpful comments will be appreciated. Gary

Reply to
Gary Compton

jdoe

Reply to
Blah Blah

I had a quote from a local trans shop two years ago they wanted about $400 for the job.

Reply to
riz

transmission

Reply to
Gary Compton

You can check the shift solenoids with an Ohm Meter. You will need to know their values at a given temperature which should be given in a good manual. From my TranX 2000 documentation the resistance of each should be the following.

There is 7 actuators and it list them with all the same values.

TAAT Transmission

91-92 2.5 Ohms Cold / 4.4 Ohms Hot

93-up 4.0 Ohms Cold / 6.0 Ohms Hot

Reply to
Blah Blah

Hi Larry:

I have a couple of questions about replacing the valve body on a 93? SL1 SOHC. I haven?t been able to find a manual that covers this subject ? do you have a recommendation? Haynes doesn?t cover transmissions, nor does Chilton. Chilton has a tranny manual, but doesn?t cover Saturn. My local library has ALLDATA, which has a some transmission information, but doesn?t cover removing the VB. If I can?t find a manual, is the removal simple enough to be done without? I?m hoping that the removal process will be obvious and that if I reverse the process I will be able to get the replacement on. I assume the VB is under the plate on top of the transmission ? is that correct? Any other advise?

Thanks much,

Gary

transmission.

Reply to
Gary Compton

Theres more to it than how easy something is removed. Your valvebody is the heart of that transmission. Improper torque to it and one vain may shoot fluid past the gasket and into another and cause major damage to your entire transmission. You'll need to hunt for a real Saturn service manual. You dont need to find a 93 only manual. I think they're the same upto 95-99? 91-92 is slightly different. Someone ought to make a on car repair webpage for TAAT valve bodies. Theres enough people out their seeking this info.

Reply to
Blah Blah

Thanks Larry:

I found a Saturn 91-94 factory transmission manual on E-Bay for $9.50, including shipping.

Reply to
Gary Compton