Turn signal problem, 92 SW2

My turn signals often fail to work. Bulbs are OK, 4-way flashers work, but not turn signals (sometimers they work).

Replaced the fuse and they worked for a while; the old fuse was OK. Any ideas where to look?

Reply to
Nick Hull

I think the 4-way flasher relay is the same relay that is used for the turn signals. If that is the case, I might suspect the switch in the stalk/lever arm. You may also find that replacing the fuse incidentially cleaned off the fuse receptacle terminals, which is why it worked for a little while and then quit again.

-rj

98SL2
Reply to
richard hornsby

I am not sure on the Saturn, but most GM cars use 2 flashers, one for the 4 ways, and one for the turn signals.

James

Reply to
James1549

As you indicate you problem seems to be intermittent - sometime works and sometimes does not --- I had a similar problem with my daughters 92 SC, with only the left side. On hers, I assume due to the largely non-metallic body structure, the electrical system uses wired grounds, as opposed to grounds to nearby metallic structure. So what I found was that there was a 'Y' connected ground for the left turn signal (turn signal ground spliced into another ground wire) in the left sidewall of the trunk that had corroded quite badly. Some times it received sufficient ground to work, other days it did not. I cut out the 'Y' splice and soldered in a new section and non problems since.

It was quite hard to locate, as the splice is buried, bundled and wrapped in the rear wire harness.

As you seem to have all turn signals effected, possibly you have a similar problem, but obviously in a different location, giving intermittently good, then bad ground to the system.

Looking at the wiring diagram, it does appear that these Saturn's have only one flasher module - at the fuse block area. You could try replacing that, as with hazards on the draw on the system is quite different that with a turn signal on - it could be just enough to make a difference.

Also the flasher module does have its own ground connection. If it was corroding it might also create a problem. You could try to measure the resistance to ground at the module connection. Should be 3 connections/wires. Dark Blue, Pink and Black. The Black to ground should have no resistance.

Reply to
Mike