Valve cover leaking oil

I just noticed that one of the top 3 bolts in the center of my valve cover is permeating oil around the edge of the bolt. It is so minimal that it is hardly noticeable. Everything else is bone-dry. I just had the valve cover gasket replaced last year, is this normal? I have a 94 SL2 with 90K miles.

I have an appointment to have the gasket changed next week, but I am concerned as I drive about 60 miles a day at highway speeds (above 70mph) and am concerned about compression loss or engine damage. I am not low on oil.

As long as I make sure the oil is at level, is this ok? Thanks.

Reply to
marx404

What about in the base of the spark plug wells, any oil there?

Unless it was leaving puddles I wouldn't think it's anything but annoying. It could be a result of the last gasket replacement (not done correctly), or if I made a leap (wild guess) there could be increased cover pressure from worn valve stem seals.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Valve covers are often prone to leak/seep especially on a 1.9L. Someone must not have torqued it down right or missed a spot that required sealant or didnt clean the surface very well.

Compression loss from a "valve" cover?

Yup.

Reply to
Blah blah

well, I just wanted to be on the safe side. I feel much better knowing that it is more of an annoyance then a prelude to a problem, especially when I am now driving 60 miles a day at speeds up to and past 80mph sometimes. Thanx.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

nope, bone dry. pulled out the plug wires, inspected them and the plug wells too. :-)

marx404

Reply to
marx404