Vibration/noise when turning left

I have a 93 Saturn SL2 that started to make a vibration and low pitched noise when I turn left. I jacked it up and do get a slight amount of play when a grab the top and bottom of the wheel and try and move it. I don't seem to get any when I grab the front and rear of the tire and try to move it. This was on the passenger side. The drivers side wheel has no detectable play at all. I'm thinking bearing, but on the other hand I know mostly zip about other possibilities such as the front end. Any ideas?

Reply to
Rock

My first guess was a CV joint went bad. (CV=constant velocity joint in axle shaft) Since you did find some play in the right side wheel, that should be followed up first. Best way to diagnose these things is to get the whole front in the air and disconnect the sway bar links which allows the wheels to "float." It could be the top strut tower bearing, lower strut bearings, strut itself or the ball joint. Sometimes it is easier to diagnose with a pry bar between the steering knuckle and frame and feel all joints for movement as you pry. Pry both forward and backward. Be safe about it. It's no fun to loose a ball joint at highway speed when you hit a bump. ( I've see those before... not pretty)

Reply to
Oppie

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Reply to
Rock

Before you change your CV joint, have your mechanic look at your upper (torque) engine mount.

My '94 went out last year and made a very similar noise.

Here's how I trouble shot mine.

Find a big open parking lot. Get your car rolling, turn off the engine (don't hit anything) and turn left. If the noise is still there, it's likely a wheel issue (perhaps CV joint). If the noise is gone, it's likely an engine mount.

If you're handy with engines, the mount takes about 30 minutes to change. A shop might charge you $150 for the job.

Also, if you've noticed increased vibration over the years...if the car behind you is vibrating in the mirror, it might be your engine mount.

It's an easy fix.

Good luck.

Reply to
Barry Schnoor

You sir are correct. I raised the car and couldn't find anything wrong there. I even ran it in gear nothing. I tightened the mount and presto. And I had been noticing more vibration lately like the mirrors and even the steering wheel a bit. I will replace the mounts as the vibration when I turn quit, but I still get the mirror vibrating. Thanks for the help guys.

Reply to
Rock

Glad you were able to find it. I always like to first rule out the 'criticality-one' issues, having worked in military designs. Criticality-1 parts are those, that if they fail, can ruin your day if not your life. The space shuttle booster engine is one example. Engine mounts, while important are to a degree redundant and not likely to get you 'customized' if they start to fail.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

I usually find that if the car behind me is vibrating in the mirror I need to turn down the CD. :)

Reply to
D V Brownell