Wanted: Saturn CD Player

I want to upgrade my 1995 SL2 so it has a CD player. Want to be plug-and-go though...

If anyone is swapping out a Saturn CD player for an after-market one, let me know. I might buy your CD player.

I simply don't want to pay store prices... And hate to make my 55 minute commute daily with no music since I have had ONLY CD players since 1988.

Regards, Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:

Do you drive a 1988 Toyota Camry? If so, I'll mail you my old Toyota Repair Manual for free. Just eMail me. I don't want to throw it out.

4 bedroom house for sale in NJ:
Joe Agro

You can find several of these being auctioned on Ebay if you look up by keyword search using "Saturn" and "CD". I tried to convince my son to go this route to ensure compatibility for his 1996 SL, but he wanted a fancier unit and elected to instead buy an in-dash unit from Circuit City for about $200 installed that he is very happy with.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

hi get an aftermarket ,they are cheap ,sound better and the saturn model you have is very easy to install a cd player in. our 95 sw2 wagon was the easiest install that i have ever done. check out this site for instructions:

make/model/year and away you go.regards,jeff

Reply to
jeff

Installing an Aftermarket radio is not hard... Be sure you do it right.. Get your radio and go to a Stereo Install place. Order a Installation kit and a Stereo wiring harness..

You'll attach your stereo wires to the new harness and then the harness will plug into your factory harness where your old radio was.. This way there is no need to cut your factory wiring..

Reply to
Joe Biadasz

I agree with Joe, except that nowadays it can be far cheaper and more efficient to go to a store like Best Buy and get one of thier nice systems when they are on sale. They will also install it for you professionally. I had them install a Pioneer Supertuner CD put in my 94 SL2 last year for just over $120., stereo, harness adapter and dash bezel. Lao ot deals at some places will also install for free or a discount if you bought the system from them.

Nowadays, wiring is no longer the old cut-and-splice that we had to do when we were teenagers. Modern day wiring is all plug-and play and if it doesnt fit, there is always an adapter to make it fit. But having a pro do the job ensures the best quality work. Unless you are an audio super-tuner like Lane, lol.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

I don't know if I would call what the dorks there call professional....

Well, you still have to connect the wires from the new stereo to the wiring harness for the vehicle, and that is not plug and play.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

I'm not looking for quality sound as the stock speakers are crud anyhow...

I just want to be able to listen to books on CD to and from work and listen to all of my CD collection in glorious silence away from the kids.

Regards, Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:

Do you drive a 1988 Toyota Camry? If so, I'll mail you my old Toyota Repair Manual for free. Just eMail me. I don't want to throw it out.

4 bedroom house for sale in NJ:

Joe Agro

I love books on tape. I replaced the factory CD in my Vue with an aftermarket unit that can handle MP3 files. Books that used to tke 10 or more CD easily fit on one in the MP3 format. I download my books from Audible.com and then concert them to MP3 files using Goldwave. I can't tel the difference between this format and standard CDs. I also got a Sirius ready radio, so I can listen to Sirius radio when I get tired of a book.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

LOL. I'm on an unreliable 28.8k connection. DLing anything more than about 1 meg is just about impossible. :(

Regards, Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:

Do you drive a 1988 Toyota Camry? If so, I'll mail you my old Toyota Repair Manual for free. Just eMail me. I don't want to throw it out.

4 bedroom house for sale in NJ:
Joe Agro

Well I am even converting purchased books on CDs to MP3. It is realatively easy with Goldwave and the reduction in the number of CDs required is great!

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Try

I got my saturn cd player from him.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Dougherty

Joe, if you want to go the cheap route, I did this with my old Datsun. Get an FM transciever modulator and a portable CD player (walkman style) from BB or any electronics store. It'll set you back less than $30. and works great. Or if you have a tape deck, Sony sells a tape deck driven CD player adapter. Either works great and will allow you to play your CD thru your car stereo. (it might even make your crappy speakers sound better).

Bandit, I guess I got lucky at BB and got a "dork" who really knew what he was doing. ;-)

marx404

Reply to
marx404

T'was my next question... :)

Thought about it, but didn't want to "pack away" the CD player at every stop for fear of theft and damage...

Regards, Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:

Do you drive a 1988 Toyota Camry? If so, I'll mail you my old Toyota Repair Manual for free. Just eMail me. I don't want to throw it out.

4 bedroom house for sale in NJ:
Joe Agro

I don't really think you have to worry about that, especially if you get one of the cheap ones....

Reply to
BANDIT2941

If a little research shows a 2000 unit will plug in...

I've got an AM/FM/CD player from my 2000 SL2. It was only in the car about 2 weeks (bought the car new). Perfect condition. I also have all of the original speakers. The sound quality wasn't bad at all. I just wanted a top of the line system, set up for SQ.

Let me know if you're interested.

Steve

Reply to
Steve S.

Do you still have the unit? How much are you asking? It should fit into a 1997 SL1?

John

Steve S. wrote:

Reply to
John Jennings