Warning lights stay on after battery replaced - 94 SL2

I have a 1994 SL2 and just replaced the battery - only the 3rd one I've had in the car.

However, the battery and "auto-lock" lights in the dash are on all the time. Is there some easy way to reset the diagnostics system to get rid of them? Or do I have a more serious electrical problem?

TIA.

Reply to
w.gary.strand

Is the alternator properly charging? Using a volt meter, check the voltage at the battery while the car is running. Voltage should be

13.8 -14.0 with a known good, charged battery.

James

Reply to
James1549

The battery light does not mean the battery is bad, it means the charging circuit is not working properly. It is common for the alternator to fail and no longer be able to charge the battery but it could be a host of other things as well. Don't drive the car much with the light on... the battery is going to go dead and the car is going to stop when that happens.

Many parts stores are able to test the charging system for you at no charge and let you know what is going on. If there is one close to you then consider going and letting them see if the alternator is working.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I got an 11.0 from a cold battery - which implies that the charging system either isn't working right, or I got something of a dud battery from Costco.

Thanks.

Reply to
w.gary.strand

I think it's probably the alternator - coming to work, the car started making this clock-like sound coming from the area near the base of the steering column (very regular, like a watch ticking, but only in gear, I think) and also, when I turned the car off, a rapid grr-grr-grr sound from what sounded like the passive seatbelt motor. Wonderful.

Reply to
G-Man

What did u expect it to do? You are driving the car with a known charging problem. The battery will go dead. The electronics will do nutty things when they don't have the power they need to operate.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.