What's the view on the VUE?

I own a 2001 SC2 and it's been the best car I've ever had. Presently there's about 86,500 miles on it and it has required nothing except regular maintenance and wear items (tires, battery, wiper blades, etc.) I live in Phoenix Arizona so the car has had plenty of opportunity to over heat in our 120F degree summers, but it never has. Quite honestly, other than more power I can't think of anything I'd change about it. Okay, here's the question. Due to my happiness with the SC2, I'm thinking about getting a VUE that's maybe a couple of years old so I don't take too bad of a hit on depreciation. I've heard some horror stories and some glowing reviews, which seems to be a trademark of the Saturn brand. Anybody have any counsel for this ol' desert rat? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
TheDesertguy

Glad to hear that your SC2 is doing so well under such conditions. I have a

2002 SC2 w/ 55K mi. This is what I kow about the VUE, as I used to sell them and know many ppl who had them.

Stay clear of any automatic tranny 4cyl prior to 2005 which is CVT tranny. This belt driven tranny had many issues and was discontinued by Saturn in favor of a more traditional 4 gear auto tranny. Man. 4cyl in just about any year is ok, but after 2004 was more refined.

Favor V6 models after 2004 which is when the Honda engine was introduced. I personally like the old V6 which was from the Caddy Catera, but the newer Honda VTEC engine runs faster, cleaner and quieter and has the highest hp (250hp) vs gas mileage, 28mpg.

My best bet would be a 2005 as this is when Saturn made over 800 model changes tot he VUE as well as overhauling the V6. Special package models can be worth your while, like the Sun & Sound pkg (SR & adv. audio combined) or the Redline version are quite favorable and will hold thier value better.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

They don't win when fighting with a barbed wire fence, trust me. The plastic paneling wont survive.

Not that I've driven through one or anything >.<

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

You mean from "Opel" and ewww you like the Opel v6?

Heres a breakdown of Opel based cars

Aura & L-Series = Vectra Ion = Astra GT = Sky Omega = Catera

Oh and that Saab commercial for the 9-7X that says "Born from Jets" was actually born from a Olds Bravada. This rebadging stuff gets kinda funny sometimes.

Reply to
BläBlä

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:28:38 +0000, TheDesertguy crawled out of the sand and croaked:

We have an '05 V6 that we bought in January last year. It has been running perfect. A bit smallish and cramped for my tastes, but then you already have a sub-compact SC2, so it won't be much of a shock.

The V6 engine is fantastic. I know there will be a cost associated with changing the belt at 60K miles, but I did that on my Kia prior to selling it for my Avalanche and it was only around $350. Well worth having the extra HP of the interference engine. Of course the HP/weight ratio on the Vue blows away my Avalanche.

The features are nice in the Vue, with the sunroof, fold down seats, very easy to open tailgate and the CD/MP3 player. My only complaints - except for the small size of the car - are the following:

Sounds. It is noisy at 80MPH and rattles a bit in the doors.

The Window Controls are located in this bizarre configuration on the center console. I always have to look where they are.

The right-side turn signal thingy is exactly where the ignition key goes. I'm always turning on the windshield wipers when I start the car.

Other than that, I can't complain about the car. Very nicely done. I have friends with the Rav4 and the Honda mini-ute and this is far and away better. The only other one I like is the newer Kia Sportage, which I bought for my mom earlier this year. It has less horsepower but a bit more refinement than the Vue.

HTH!!

Reply to
PerfectReign

try

Unknown

TheDesertguy wrote in news:Xns985D9348A368Bbubba123@70.169.32.36:

I got my V6/FWD new in 2005 and it is the best car I have ever owned bar none. It does have some weird interior things, like the center console and switch placing but I got use to it pretty quick. I am a big guy and my main complaint with most cars was the narrow seats. The vue is perfect for my frame. Also, at about 20,000 mi I had to drive from San Diego to Houston TX for a family emergency and averaged 32.6 MPG for the trip. Not bad for a V6. Gets about 26 around town.

JohnS

Reply to
Homer