What would you do?

I just took a 6-year old S-car (98 SL2) with 130,000 miles on it into the Saturn dealership because of noise under the hood and vibration that I thought might be a problem outside the engine.

Instead, my ulcer was aggravated and I was told the problem was INSIDE the engine. The service rep told me his "shop foreman" looked at it and said it was "rod knock."

The service rep laid out my options from his perspective:

  1. 00 for a re-built with 3 yr/36 month part/labor warranty

  1. 00 for a used engine with 46,000 miles and a 6 month parts-only warranty

  2. 00 to fix the existing engine.

He himself preferred option #1. He had another option of selling me a new Saturn for the trade-in value of the car, but I told him there was a possibility of my emigrating from the United States once again in a year or so, and I wasn't in a position to take payments anyway.

I have added a few options of my own:

  1. Find another trusted mechanic to put a re-built in.

  1. Cut my losses on a car I have owned a year and 25,000 miles and have put 00 into. Get another used car that is not a Saturn and which must do a 40-mile one-way commute on the interstate reliably and dependably.

  2. Set up a cot where I work, and eliminate the commute and the enjoyment of living.

  1. Try to get on welfare and move around on by bus or bicycle.

I beg for the collective wisdom of the group. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
SMH

  1. Put some engine honey in the oil to quiet down the rod knock.
  2. Ask yourself why you put 00 into a car that isn't even worth that much
  3. Drive the car with the thicker oil/engine honey until it breaks--then do the car donation/tax writeoff thing.
  4. Offer the dealer a compromise on a trade in to a newer car.
  5. Seek an independant mechanic who specializes in engine replacements. You can find these "engine town" places in the phone book. We have one in So Cal. You'll spend a lot less money.

This may be troll bait, but I'll bite. Might I ask what on earth cost you $6500 to fix on a Saturn?

Reply to
Victor DiMichina

I'd get a second opinion from another mechanic before making any of the decisions you've listed. If the second mechanic agrees, I'd go for option 1, the rebuilt with the 3 yr warranty.

Reply to
Bill Kirkpatrick

Option 8, hit up Joey at

and see if he has a used engine for you in operating condition then have it dropped in. I've heard him quote engine prices from 150-1200 depending on it's condition.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Paluda

SMH wrote in news:Xns940DBCD52FEA1box.2003@64.164.98.29:

6a. Get an apartment walking distance to work. Why do you live 40 miles from work?

What does welfare have to do with riding a bus or bicycle?

  1. Sell the Saturn and buy a motorcycle.
Reply to
david moore

Victor DiMichina wrote in inimitable style:

Not to fix. But the whole ball of wax.

$5500 on purchase from private party $425 for California's sales tax on cars And probably another $500 for diagnostic, parts replacements, standard M&R.

In return I got 22,000 miles in 12 and 1/2 months. Not always stress- free use days either, mind you.

I just got the word from my wife she wants me not put another dollar into the car. It would be putting a good---or Saturn----engine into a flaky transmission and transmission cooling system.

What can I get selling a repair job to someone? With its mileage, its book probably says its $3500 probably. But with an engine that you do not know when it will rattle out, and I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere when it does. $1500? $2000 if I am lucky? The auto has the cleanest interior (and leather) you've ever seen----I believe a car is transport device, not a garbage can----but what counts is whether it will reliably perform for you. Anyway, I figure my total cost of ownership for the year I had it will be more than $4000, and probably more. For a 1.9L 4-cylinder that gets 35 mpg highway....got 35 mpg highway.

It's hard to blame it on poor Saturn engineering design, because I could have been buying someone's abuse and mis-use.

However, I note that the average Saturn does not keep its re-sale value very well compared to the average name-a-quality-automobile, and that itself speaks volumes.

Reply to
SMH

You probably don't meet too many people with complicated financial situations. Well, glad to meet ya.

I really only need the car for the 40-mile one-way commute. I get rid of the job and let the public support me.

The drivers in California are using the interstate like a racetrack since I returned from living abroad (emigrated from U.S. in 1993). I don't trust them that much with my life, no matter how miserable it is now.

Reply to
SMH

If you don't want to keep the car it sounds like the best bet is to take the dealers offer of a good trade in price. You won't get anywhere near that return from putting a rebuilt engine in and then trying to sell it and you'll get next to nothing with a bad engine. Of course you'll still have a Saturn but you'll get to be one breaking it in. My theory is that no car is as bad or as good as its reputation, it mostly depends on how you take care of it. Drive with low oil and you could end with rod knock on a new Toyota.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

SMH wrote in news:Xns940E8293EB345box.2003@64.164.98.50:

?????? I know a lot of people 'with complicated financial situations'. Do you always have trouble answering simple questions? You were the one who suggested eliminating the commute and I offered a reasonable way to achieve that.

Into the killfile you go...

Reply to
david moore

Maybe because an apartment walking distance from work would cost more than a house note 40 miles away.

In my case, I live 36 miles from work. I don't have any idea what an apartment would cost just outside of downtown Houston, because I wouldn't have wanted to raise a family 1) in an apartment or 2) in Houston, so I've never checked. We looked at houses in Katy, only 20 miles from where I work. There are some really nice homes for good prices there, but the drive would have taken longer, stop-and-go all the way.

There were additional reasons we chose to stay in Baytown when we bought another house, but the point is that there are perfectly good reasons that people choose to live where they do.

Commuting costs me about $60/month for gasoline, and the Saturn I've had since February has required zero repairs. (99 SL1, had 48,000 miles when I got it for $5800, now has 62,000). Pretty economical if you ask me, and I don't mind the 45-50 minute drive at all. (When else do I get the chance to listen to music?) Previously I had an '85 Corvette, half the gas mileage, and 259,000 miles when I sold it. I sold it because I was spending too much on maintenance, but I sure do miss it, especially in October when nearly every day is great for taking the roof out. The Saturn is the first car I've ever owned that's "just a car." I neither love it nor hate it. In fact, I neither like nor dislike it. When my parent loans are paid off in about 10 years, I'll get another Corvette, although your motorcycle suggestion seems like a great one!

-Alan

Reply to
apl

You are WAY overreacting to my remark.

At any rate, someone else responded to your question in more detail, and that is that only a very few people can have what they want in life. Perhaps to live near where they work, or vice-versa.

I know some people here where I live who commute from Sacramento to San Francisco by car, and you're talking about a 90 minute one-way commute when there is no one else on the road. And since we're talking about Interstate 80, we are certainly NOT talking about a road that no one is on, but one in which EVERYONE is on.

In fact, Sacramento is starting to have all the ugliness of Los Angeles traffic without any of the charms of southern California.

And for God's sake, quit being so sensitive!

Reply to
SMH

Reply to
Box134