Wheel bearings VUE 2003

I have 51,000 miles on my VUE. The end of Jan. had it serviced at the dealership It was purchased from-front pads and rotors replaced, cabin air filter replaced, powerbrake/fuel injector flushed, secondary belt replaced, 2 link bushings/brackets replaced, tires rotated, oil change,--all this to the tune of $1,000. Now, one month later, the car has been making a buzzing vibrating noise that I noticed only after I had the tires rotated during the Jan. service job. I bring the car back only to find that they failed to notice that both front wheel bearings have deterioration and they recommemd that they both be replaced within a month--to the tune of $900.00!!!

I am no longer under warrenty, and I am really beginning to think that I have been "had" since I have been told that things like wheel bearings should last a whole lot longer than 51,000 miles.

Anybody have any suggestions for me--a widowed older woman who knows little about cars.

Reply to
mopnbroom

Fuel injector flush IMO unnecessary for its age. Sounds like an upsale. OEM rotors are always way high in price... Secondary belt? Is this a

3.0L? Because there is a Accessory belt and a Timing belt and I'm not sure what they mean by secondary belt.

Ouch.

Developed after tire rotation only?

Once you're no longer under a warranty or towards the end of a warranty feel free to start shopping around. The only reason to stick with the dealership is if you feel all the other shops in your area are to inept to do the same work. Aftermarket wheel hubs are about 110-150 bucks. Labor for each should about that. Have another shop diagnose the noise and quote the cost.

Reply to
blah blah

Hi, mopnbroom, First, please go have a chat with your dealership's service manager. If the service people failed to notice a warrantee item during the warrantee period, (s)he should work with you to get the problem taken care of now for about the same as it would have cost you if they had found it earlier. Unless (s)he is willing to just go ahead on that basis without anything further from you, the most (s)he should require from you is that you contact Saturn Customer Service at 1-800-553-6000. If the service manager is not willing to help, try the dealership's general manager. If neither is willing to help, I hope there is another GM dealer not too far who would be willing to accept your future service business. My Saturn is a 1999 SL (predecessor of the Ion). Except for fixing the infamous engine casting flaw, I doubt I've put $1900 into that car in its life and my dealership's service department does EVERYTHING, including the once-every-3000 (well, sometimes as long as 4200) mile oil changes! Good luck!

Reply to
Steve

Apparently the wheel bearings on these VUEs are crap! They warranteed my front right even though I had 38k on my '03 FWD V6 - because I complained about some noise while it was still under warranty. At 51k I'm hearing that familiar noise again! :-(

Reply to
Chuck

--HELLO I AM A SATURN TECH, I HAVE REPLACE SATURN VUE BEARING AT 30,OOO MILES-VERY COMMON PROBLEM-WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUT CAR BEARINGS ON A SUV!!------------BUT YOU ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF, NO WAY THAT BOUT BEARINGS IN FRONT WILL GO BAD IN THAT TIME, THE TECH JUST SAID BECAUSE HE REALLY DIDDNT TAKE THE TIME TO FINE OUT WHAT ONE IS BAD-95% CHANCE IT IS A REAT BEARING-I WOULD FIND DIFFRENT DEALER

Reply to
LOOKYDEALS

Looky - are these wheel bearings a DIY job? Any real special tools required? About how much do the parts cost?

Reply to
Chuck