Wheel for Honda and Saturn

Would like to buy an aluminum wheel that will work on both my 97 Honda Civic hatchback and my 99 Saturn SC-1 3-door. For Honda is says +48mm offset and for Saturn it says 4-100. I have no idea what that means. Will same wheel work on both cars? Honda recommends 45-16 tire and Saturn recommendation is 50-16.

Reply to
Chris Lamb

I have been looking for the same answer, as the new Civic LX's have the same tires, rim size, and bolt pattern, as my 95 SL2. I asked a guy at work who knows a mechanic, and he asked him for me, and the answer was that it will work. I am still not convinced, as the offset is what I an not sure about, and the center hub size is off by 0.9mm. Here are some links to help you narrow it down, and please post your final findings:

Skid

A few parameters to consider:

  1. Bolt Pattern
4-100 (more often seen as 4x100) refers to the bolt pattern. There are 4 bolt on a 100mm (3.93inch) circle around the centre of the wheel/axle. The Civic and the Saturn have the 4x100 bolt pattern.

  1. Offset This is the distance between the centre of the wheel (in width) and the location of the wheel feature that will contact the hub on the car. Usually, front wheel drive vehicule have "high" offset (say 40 to

50mm).

  1. Centre Bore Diameter This is the diameter of the wheel feature that contact the hub. Check this site:
    You can see thatthe Civic has a 64.1mm centre bore diameter and the Saturn is 57.1mm.

  1. Overall wheel diameter: Use the following wheel calculator to see how you speedometer is going to be off by and I suggest you keep the difference between what the manufacturer say and your new wheel size to less the 2% but lots of people go to 4%.
    Here's another link for you:
    yeah,
    (see wheelsection)

There are other considerations:

- you have a lot of room to maneuvre in terms of offset is you go from a 5.0inch wheel to a 6.0inch wheel but a lot less if you jump to a

7.0inch wide wheel. Search newsgroups for your car/wheel combo. The primary risk with the offset and is to have contact of the wheel/tire with the inside of the car and/or brake lines.

- changing the wheel can change the way the wheel loads the suspension components and this may or may not impact your vehicule braking/handling performance (positively or negatively) and the life of the components such as wheel bearing (more probably than the performance thing).

Good luck,

Frank

97 SL1 110,000 Mi
Reply to
Frank

I've been on the track with a guy who runs Saturn alloy wheels on his Honda Civic with no issues. In addition, I've purchased Konig wheels for my SC that are the same application listing for many Hondas.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

Heres something I found with a quick search in google.

You can find more in a search if you need to.

Reply to
Blah blah