Wheel Noise Cont.

2001 Saturn SC1

I posted a message a couple days back about a noise I heard while driving earlier that day.

I have heard the noise again, but at much slower speeds, 15 mph or so, It was only for a second that the noise came back. I now hear a different noise when making a right hand turn, not left. This is a different noise then if driving in a straight line. I've also noticed a thumping feeling, not just in the steering wheel, but the whole car, at low speeds, 15-30 mph.

Is this the wheel bearings or something else? MR had said something about sub-freezing temps, this is not the case for me, temps are in the low 60s high 50s.

If the bears are going, do I have to replace the hub as well? or can I just replace the bearings, what types of wear marks would I look for on the hub the would determine a hub replacement?

Thank You for your help

Reply to
uknewwho

oppps, added note: The noise seems to come from the driver side front, only when the car is moving, and happens to stop when the wheel is turned, however, it is not making a noise when the wheel is turned. I tried jacking the car up and trying to wiggle the front drivers tire, but did not move any, at the time I checked, I will check again today when I get a chance and post again.

Thank You

Reply to
uknewwho

Check your motor mount for wear. That is what gave me all kinds of grief chasing down that noise. Even switched the CV joints until someone mentioned the problematic upper mount. About $75 and came with 4 studs. Jack under engine and an easy swap job.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Don't over look the rear tires. Run your hand around them and feel for "chop" . It's real common on FWD vehicles especially if you're like me and don't believe in rotating tires. The choppiness around the tire can make all kinds of weird noises.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Update It has gotten colder around here the past couple of days, even snowed. The nose is now heard from moving from a stop, the pitch changes when the break is applied, then the noise stops, the the break is let off, the noise will return. Could this still be bearings, or is this a "normal" noise from the '01 S-Series? I would rather not spend 70 bucks at saturn to have a tech tell me this is "normal" noise in cold weather.

Thank you for your help.

Reply to
uknewwho

Maybe you could wait and see......warmer weather and clear roads. Especially if you don't have long commutes in it where a breakdown would be costly. MR

Reply to
MR

uknewwho, With your description, it sounds like one or both wheel bearings in the front. I replaced both of mine on a 94. Seems to be common as I just emailed/posted to someone a few days ago about how to replace them. After the axle is out of the spindle, you can see how sloppy a bearing can be.

chuck

============= my post ================= Subject: Re: 97 SL1 wheel Bearr> 2001 Saturn SC1

Reply to
chuck smoko