Where to get door keylock parts for 1999 SL2?

I have a Saturn SL2 and the driver side door is missing the protective cover over the key lock.

The key lock works OK with the key, it's just missing that metal exterior cover.

I can buy the entire lockset from a dealer for about $70, but wondering if I can get just the part I need somewhere.

Any place online that would sell them?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mark Bratcher

Best bet is to check with a local locksmith -- although that may not save you much money vs. just buying a new lockset from the dealer.

Another option would be to get a lockset from a junkyard. A locksmith may be able to re-key the junkyard lockset to fit your existing key, and certainly could make keys to fit the junkyard set.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Thanks Doug. So implicit in what you're saying is that there's no way to separate the protective cover piece from the actual lock mechanism? The actual lock on my car works fine, it just doesn't have the protective cover. The guts are directly visible.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Mark Bratcher

directly visible.

Depends on exactly which part you're talking about. I understood you to mean the small, rectangular, spring-loaded flap covering the keyway, that's supposed to keep dirt and moisture out of the lock.

Or do you mean some other part instead?

Reply to
Doug Miller

directly visible.

No, you got it right. Actually it's not just missing the small rectangular part, but the entire surrounding area as well.

Reply to
Mark Bratcher

As far as I know, you can't *remove* that from a lock without destroying it. (Destroying the part, I mean, not the lock.) So if you want to *replace* that on your lock, you need to start with new parts. The easiest -- and maybe only

-- way to get new parts is to go to a locksmith. Once you're there, you might as well have him do the whole job.

Reply to
Doug Miller