Why low resale value for Saturns

I have a 2001 L300 with every option but the sunroof. I purchased it used for $21,000. A quick survey on Edmunds and Kelly's shows my car is worth between $85,00 and $11,000. My car has lost a minimum of $10,000 value in 2 years. Why did my car's value drop so much?

Reply to
Vito Cavallo

Because you bought it brand new. That happens with all new cars. If you don't want that, buy a two or three-year old car.

Reply to
Ratbert

Oops! I can read, really! You say you did buy it used? When, and with how many miles? It must have been very close to new.

Reply to
Ratbert

We went through the same thing with our loaded 2001 SC2 on the trade in. 2 years and 20k miles and the car was worth less than half the sticker price.

The used car market really stinks for vehicles that are only a few years old right now, mainly due to the fact that a new car with 0% interest is the same price as a year old used car at 5% or whatever the current "used car rate" is.

In the long run, this makes it cheaper to buy new, and I would guess is what drives the used car prices down.

I wonder how some of the smaller used car lots are staying in business sometimes...

Reply to
solo

Saturns have always had poor resale value, but in your case, first of all you overpaid for it to begin with, it didn't lose $10K in value. Second, the very agressive discounting, not only the L series, but on its competition, drives down new prices, which drives down used prices. You can buy a 2003 Camry for $1000 less than we paid for our 1996 Camry ($16K versus $17K). The Saturn L series is being discounted by up to $6000, because sales are so poor. The falling prices on new cars drive down the value of used cars.

KBB and Edmunds tend to understate the wholesale value and overstate the retail value.

Reply to
Steven M. Scharf

well when we bout my wifes new saturn, the dealer said that if you trade in between 3-4 yrs its a high chance you will get a minium of 1/2 what you paid for it.

Reply to
Charles H.

They used to boast "up to 75% if you trade in under 3 years or 30k miles for a new saturn. Now they emphasize the UP TO part...and it is way less than 75%.

Reply to
solo

I think it would be wise to look at the source of that "information" (a salesman who won't be accountable for its accuracy and who is about to make a big commission if you leave with a new car).

Reply to
Ratbert

Saturns historically don't hold value, because folks aren't willing to pay top dollar for used ones. Saturn hasn't marketed itself as well as Honda, and therefore isn't as desirable a car. Hondas hold their value better. Regardless of what anyone tells you, the price/value of a used car is driven by market value, and that's driven by buyers. If more people bought used Saturns, the value would increase.

The other problem you're facing is the economy. With all of the incentives floating around lately on new cars (0% financing, or low rates; thousands of dollars "cash back"; giving away computers and other things) some folks who would normally buy used are buying new instead. This has caused the used car market to drop considerably. That directly affects the wholesale and retail values for used cars on the lot and for trade-ins.

Reply to
Mark Walters

Right now, where I work in New York, a 3 year-old Saturn with reasonable miles (under 36K) and in good condition sells for about 10 or 11 grand.

Considering they sold for around 20-23 grand in 2000, I'd say the salesman is about on target, or maybe a little high --- if he was talking about RETAIL value. You can get that much if you sell it yourself, but not if you trade it in. Dealers have to make a profit, and most of them will put money into the car to "certify" it for resale. The trade-in value for such a car would be 7 grand at best.

When he made that estimate, he was telling the truth, because back in

2000 that's what was happening.

Right now, the market for used cars has decreased significantly because of all the incentives the manufacturers are offering on new cars, and used cars aren't selling as well as a result. So, used cars sitting on the lot at 10 grand are being discounted, and trade-ins are getting less money.

Reply to
Mark Walters

If I uderstand the way this works correctly, right now your car is realisticly 3 years old, not 2. Any car dealer out there feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but a big value drop in used vehicle prices occurs in September. I'm guessing this is because most new model years start appearing in September, i.e. you can now buy an '04 Saturn.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

realisticly = realistically

(Gawd, do I feel dumb!)

Reply to
Bryan

Sorry for typo, websites state between $8500 ( not 85,000) and $11,000.

I bought it used in 2001, it was one about one year old. I had no choice but to pay the Saturn price (no haggling policy).

Reply to
Vito Cavallo

Correct. My in service date of my car is Sep, 2000. But Edmunds and KBB don't ask for when the car was made, just the model year. It's techically a

2001 model year.

Thank you everyone for responding. I will keep my car until it dies. I bought the extended warranty.

Reply to
Vito Cavallo

First of all, you should not have believed that there was no haggling on Saturns, because despite all the hype, there is, especially on used cars.

Second, you had a lot of choice. You could have bought something else. If you had to have a V6, there were a lot of new V6 mid-size cars available for about $21,000 two years ago. You could have bought a Maxima, Camry, or Accord for that much money (street price). Furthermore, while the 4 cylinder L series is underpowered with an automatic, and should be avoided, there are 4 cylinder mid-size cars with very respectable 4 cylinder engines.

Somehow I get the feeling that this thread may have started with a troll post, as I doubt that anyone would pay that much for a used

2001 Saturn L300.
Reply to
Steven M. Scharf

No, he's posted here for quite a while.

We leased our loaded 2002 L300. I am very happy with the car. I wouldn't have touched the L200, but this L300 is great. With resale so low, the residual on my car that Saturn is stuck with is not realistic. I actually may lowball them at the end of my lease to see if I can get the car for much less, and just buy it outright.

Although $21.5k is a lot for a *used* 2001 L300, the cars are easily worth that much when they're new.

Not everyone in the world likes camrys and accords, and the L300 is just as capable of an automobile as the aforementioned.

Reply to
Victor DiMichina