15 inch wheels on champ

I have a 63 Champ 1/2 ton 8E5 truck. I am looking at some after market wheels. Will a 15 X 8 inch wheel fit on my truck?? The bolt pattern is 5 on

5..

If you have any info.. I need to know soon.. the set of wheels I am looking at will be gone soon.. Thanks, Mike M.

63champ 65commander
Reply to
mmoss5

As I understand it a Chevy pattern to fit a mid nineteen seventies half ton truck will fit. There is both the issue of bolt pattern and fitting the Studebaker brake drum. The Chevy Wheels fit both. I moved from the original wheels to Chev wheels a couple of years ago. I got seven inch wide wheels and found it a tight fit to prevent binding on cornering so eight might not work well at all. The tires were also larger than the stock originals so the speedometer reading is about five miles per hour off at sixty miles per hour.

Hope this is of some help to you

Colin

mmoss5 wrote:

Reply to
Colin Jack

Wheels can be tricky. Make sure that they are steel so that they clear the "hump" on the Stude drums. A "flat" wheel will not fit.

Also, 8" may be a bit big for the front. Watch for tie rod etc. interference.

And, expect your fuel economy to drop precipitously with bigger wheels/tires. Don't ask me how I know! (After putting on Lincoln wheels and 235 tires)

Then, there is that nagging geometry issue...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Thanks Grumpy, Yeah.. I have deducted from several others that an 8 inch wheel is much to wide.. I'll have to stick with a 6-6.5inch wheel.. I may end up just keeping my stock stude wheels and possibly adding some nice hub caps.. I have plain white hubcaps now.. chrome Hubcaps.. with some nice chrome trim rings might look really nice.. Thanks! Mike M.

63Champ
Reply to
mmoss5