1937 Dictator Coupe in New Zealand -what a beauty!

Neat! (thanks for the link!!!) Like the two tone silver/black paint... Dual sidemounts were a pretty easy upgrade (just order the export fender and parts, or in this case...order the domestic fender and parts)... Spotlight is interesting... It's quite crowded in that corner of the cab for a spotlight handle..) If people only knew how useless those rear view mirrors really are ... Like his use of reflector tape rather than drill holes for reflectors... Man... A trip to NZ (with brake shoes) for a month..and then ship 'er home.... I'd bet a donut my wife would go for it... Jeff

"George Mills" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

What other company but Studebaker would bring out a car named Dictator in 1937?

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Mercedes-Benz, Auto Union, BMW, Fiat

Reply to
oldcarfart

Actually, the Dictator name dates back to 1928 or 29, IIRC. There was sort of a fad on for dictators, as Mussolini actually HAD managed to make the trains run on time. And Hitler was not yet Fuehrer. Even as late as 1937, the European dictators had not as yet been totally discredited.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

What other company but Studebaker would bring out a car named Dictator in

1937?

___________________________________________ And yet...Eleanor Roosevelt made an ad for Studebaker. Anne Morrow Lindbergh never did. Go figure.

Today, "Commander" or "Speedster" would probably piss somebody off. How do you suppose President would have held up during the Nixon years? If you introduce a Galaxie now, it had better run on karma fumes, man. A Corvair was a pirate boat (arrgh), a Corvette a tax-collecting vessel, and remember how the anti-testosterone types used to go off on predator names like Firebird and Wildcat? So, we get Focus and Edge and what the HELL is a YARIS? (yaCheris, they say, so if they make it in Miss., can we have YaZeus?)

I sure miss Fairlanes and Delrays (named after the neighborhoods they came from). I own a Toronado, and that is no bull.

And didn't the real Simon Templar drive a Hirondel?

Reply to
comatus