1954 Starliner Wire Wheels and Exhast Deflector

Finally got the wire wheels on! How do they look?

Michael - Roseland FL

I like the wheels, but does the exhaust deflector extend past the bumper? If so I'd be out there with a hacksaw or sawzall cutting it back so that deflector is flush with the bumper... looks like a serious shin scraper.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

It does extend out past the bumper Lee, but the exhast pipe has a bend near the end and is only straight for about 2 1/2 inches.

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

I see that now in the close up picture.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

I am going to add a picture of it from the 1954 accessories catalog in a few minutes

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Reply to
mbstude

Ok you had to ask...

WOW...First that home is super nice whoever owns it...

The car looks like what they give you when you die , go to heaven and tell them you spent time on the stude news group site here...

It is very very nice and the wheels are just what St.Peter ordered for that car...I saw the build sheet see...Yes...Good taste all round in my opinion...and I can tell good taste,being from Cape Breton Island the land of good taste and first rate music...Just ask anyone here...

Did I tell you I loved that car?? oh I did...I'm going to try and be dam good so I gets one some day...

Lansing

Please remove the X to e-mail me...I get spam here daily

Reply to
ConcreteGuy

Thanks Lansing, perhaps I will be lucky enough to make it up to the land of good taste and first rate music someday!!!!!

C> Ok you had to ask...

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

snipped>>>>>>>>>

Just so you and everyone on this list know, you all have a special stude welcome to come visit us here in Cape Breton Island,Nova Scotia,Canada...Oh our food is great as well...Just ask Robert Black who has toured the Island and seen how pretty it is here...

Oh today is Canada's birthday July 1...Happy Canada Day......

Also as my wife is from Boston MA., she wishes you all a Happy July

4th day there in the USA...

Please remove the X to e-mail me...I get spam here daily

Lansing

Reply to
ConcreteGuy

Michael - In your pictures, you label the exhaust extension as a Stratoline unit. I believe that is incorrect. The Stratoline unit, used in '53 and '54, was the vertical unit with a split piece down the center (AC-1851). The unit that you have is also correct for a 1954, but not for a 1953. It is a Deluxe unit (AC-2607).

Reply to
studegary

Gary, the exhaust deflector came in the original box. It says STRAT - O - LINED EXHAUST DEFLECTOR on the top. It is accessory number AC-2607. Do you think it came in the incorrect box? It fit perfectly in the box.

studegary wrote:

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

It is a Deluxe unit (AC-2607).

It is probably in the correct box. What accessory number is on the box? The Strat-O-Lined that you refer to is probably in use as the overall design name for most accessory items, not that specific exhaust extension. I have a 1953 accessory catalog, that wouldn't show it, but not a 1954 accessory catalog. Do you have the 1954 catalog, and if so, what is it called there? I didn't think that the two different extensions would share the same name of Stratoline. I remember the vertical one, used for a few years, as a Stratoline exhaust extension and the one that you have as the Deluxe extension. A strange part to this is that both of these extensions sold for the same price originally ($2.95 retail,$1.83 net). I just checked in John Bridges' book, "Studebaker's Finest", and it agrees with what I remember.

Reply to
studegary

AC-2607 is the part number on the STRA-O-LIINED EXHAUST DEFLECTOR box. I say it in caps because that is how it is listed on the box. The 1954 Accessories book does not say the exhaust deflector is a stratoline or a deluxe. There is a picture on my webshots page of the deflector with a description of the part from the 1954 Accesories Catalog. Just follow the link to my webshots page on the top of this post.

I am emailing you two pictures of the box and will post a link on here later but Webshots is down right now due to being overloaded.

Thanks!

studegary wrote:

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Here is a link to the pictures of the box:

Michael - Roseland FL wrote:

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

So John Bridges's book is incorrect. I have it also. Somone should let him know. The original box proves that it is a Stratolined exhaust extension, and not deluxe. That is what I love about Stuebakers. You learn something new all of the time and you will never know it all. Even if you are an expert like John Bridge or Fred Fox or Richard Quinn.

Michael - Roseland FL wrote:

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

: .Michael and I have taken this discussion off the NG. There seems to be a slight communication breakdown over the subtle difference between the Strat-O-Lined series of accessories and a Stratoline model of something, such as the exhaust extension. Studebaker's 1954 accessory pricing sheets support my position.

Reply to
studegary

When you get it sorted out, can you post the results? I did take note of Strat-O-Lined vs. Stratoline, but figured it might just be two different ways people have of spelling the same thing.

This sort of Studebaker esoterica is only of peripheral interest to me, but I am glad that there ARE people out there who do take it seriously.

Kudos to both Michael and yourself for researching this sort of thing.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond