1962 Studebaker : Lark Daytona Con. Pace Car

Testy, Testy, Testy, Lee

OK, sleuths: If you have read the January 1993 Turning Wheels, you know that ALL the 289-powered 1962 Daytonas tagged for the Indianapolis 500 had 4-speed transmissions; all four of them (289 cars). That's further evidence this one on e-bay is not a Pace Car or Festival Car: it has a

289 engine and AUTOMATIC transmission. (I see we are going to have to have a Pop Quiz about 1962 500-tagged Daytonas shortly.)

Now, if you have your January 1993 TW handy, look carfeully at the photo on Page 6. When George wrote that article, he stated that the car was "probably a Festival Car," and that would seem logical.

But look for a shift lever in that photo; there isn't one visible through the wondshield (we are assuming the car would be in Park for the photo). Maybe Lee or someone with one of those cars could try to sight their car from the angle of that photo and see if the column shift lever in Park is visible.

If a shift lever IS visible from that angle, it means the car > The body number won't mean much to determine whether or not it is a

Reply to
bobcaripalma

Lee Aanderud

Ahhhh...... But this was the *secret* garage!

JT

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

replying to Lee Aanderud, Mike Bereznak wrote: According to my sources, The original pace car was purchased off a car lot in ohio.... possibly near Lyndhurst by Paul gothard jr. For his son Paul gothard the 3rd. It was wrecked on the eve of his senior prom after restoring it... he saved the motor.... that is all that remains. I have the motor and hope to put it in my pace car tribute. This is info that has been told to me before his death in 2013. I will check my records for a Vin number... but if someone can supply me with motor numbets, that would be much easier.

Reply to
Mike Bereznak

You do realize this was a post from 2006, don't you?

Reply to
Deepnhock

replying to Mike Bereznak, Mike Bereznak wrote: Does anyone know the block numbers for the pace car? I'd like to verify if my past post is true

Reply to
Mike Bereznak